Gaming FPS Issue

BeerAd

Flaccid Member
Aug 15, 2005
Largo, Florida
Marklar
₥0
So I know this is not really a normal question and I don't know if any of you have had this problem but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. When I was running XP I would get a regular 100+ fps with CSS. Now that I have upgraded to Vista SP1 I can only seem to get 20-30 fps. I have no choke, loss or any other server connection problems and my wireless is performing amazing. On XP I would get less than 1mb down on speakeasy and now I get well into the 6mb range.

I have tried lowering all vista settings with vista manager and that didn't work. I reinstalled the video card drivers and all are up to date. I have seen other people talk about this problem but it always falls back to the video card being obsolete. Its a ATI X1300 512mb and would max at 150-160fps with XP.

I guess my last option is just go back to XP but this beautiful connection is hard to just pass up. What do you guys think?

I will install BF2 and 2142 tonight to see how they play

Last edited:
why would you connection be faster under vista than under xp?

Not a clue but it is, much much faster. I think it has to do with the way it holds a connection, with XP it would bounce from 32mbps to 48mbps and drop back off without ever hitting 54. With Vista it never leaves 54mbps and has an excellent signal no matter where I put my tower. Do I know why, not at all.

Now I think this is also causing the problem. It looks as if it is not the fps problem but a connection problem. My ping jumps to 120-130 every once in awhile causing the lag spike. I cannot get the Linksys software to install in Vista and thats what solved my problem with XP. Sadly they only have the drivers not the software for the wmp54g with Vista.

It's because Vista is a piece of shit. Seriously.

I thought the same until I got SP1, runs so freaking smooth on my machine. If I could just figure out this wireless problem it would put XP to shame. It seems as if out of no where I get a spike in the connection and it seems to be pretty random intervals. I dont want to go back to XP though cause this connection is just sechs and my downloads are on fiiiiiya. Guess I will just stop playing CSS and move onto another game but I dont see that improving the weird lag spikes :(

QFT
Wipe that shit and reinstall xp

I only have this one problem otherwise Vista is above and beyond any version of XP I have ever used. I have been putting off actually ordering internet for to long anyways so I might as well just get it next week and be directly plugged in. My neighbor will actually have decent speeds again :fly:

I only have this one problem otherwise Vista is above and beyond any version of XP I have ever used. I have been putting off actually ordering internet for to long anyways so I might as well just get it next week and be directly plugged in. My neighbor will actually have decent speeds again :fly:

Go back to XP, buy a wireless bridge that will ensure a steady 54mbps connection, continue to steal internet, ..., profit

thanks for the link, it helped quite a bit...

I guess I will just go back to XP for the time being with that wireless bridge that was mentioned. It looks like even if I fix the wireless problem I will be stuck with low FPS anyways on Vista. You think they would have tried to fix that in SP1 but I guess not

No point to pay for internet if the neighbor gets it for free and lets me leech, hehe

leaving in about 20 to go pick up that router, he said they have them but online says they are not in stock at the store. Hate to drive down there for nothing but worth a shot I guess, call ya soon zac'e poo!!!! (if you have time)