For the Tampa People's

BeerAd

Flaccid Member
Aug 15, 2005
Largo, Florida
Marklar
₥0
So I normally post these on another site but I figured we have enough Tampa people in here and it being a long weekend, might be needed. I follow these cause even if your not drinking its still a pain in the ass getting pulled over. If you are even a .081 they will take you straight to jail, so watch your beer per hour this weekend.

This is probably the biggest DUI run the state has ever tried. If you are not in the Tampa/St Pete area dont think you are in the clear, its the whole state. I only have the postings for locally but I am sure you can look them up in your paper Orlando folks. If you are a pot head you might wanna stay clear too, they will have full k-9 units at every stop. INFO...

Deputies Conduct Sobriety Checkpoints As Part Of The National “Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest.” Impaired Driving Crackdown

Release Number: 07-259

Who:
Pinellas County Sheriff's Office:
Patrol Operations Bureau
- DUI Enforcement Unit
- Traffic Enforcement Unit
- Community Policing Unit
- K-9 Unit
- Explorer Post 900
Detention and Corrections Bureau
- Transportation Section

What: Pinellas County deputies will conduct sobriety checkpoints this holiday weekend in conjunction with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) High Visibility Enforcement Program known as "Drunk Driving, Over the Limit, Under Arrest." The goal of this national crackdown is to reduce injuries and fatalities associated with the serious crime of impaired driving.

Where: Friday, August 31, 2007 from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. at the Holy Cross Church located at 7851 54th Avenue North in St. Petersburg.

Saturday, September 1, 2007 from 12:30 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. at Bally Total Fitness located at 6225 Ulmerton Rd in Clearwater.

When: From 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. on Friday, August 31, 2007, and from 12:30 a.m. until 3:30 a.m. on Saturday, September 1, 2007.

How/Why:
Pinellas County deputies will conduct sobriety checkpoints this holiday weekend in conjunction with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) High Visibility Enforcement Program known as "Drunk Driving, Over the Limit, Under Arrest." The goal of this national crackdown is to reduce injuries and fatalities associated with the serious crime of impaired driving.

The purpose of the "Drunk Driving, Over the Limit, Under Arrest." program is to mobilize every law enforcement agency in the state of Florida in a continuing effort to keep families safe from one of the greatest threats to our communities - THE IMPAIRED DRIVER. Statistics show that in 2005 there were 1,631 alcohol related crashes in Pinellas County. Those crashes resulted in 1,162 injuries and 39 fatalities.

At the sobriety checkpoints about thirty deputies from the Sheriff's Office DUI

Enforcement Unit, Traffic Enforcement Unit, Community Policing Unit, and K-9 Unit will be on the lookout for alcohol and drug impaired drivers. Members of the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office Explorer Post 900 will also assist with non-enforcement related tasks. Deputies will also be looking for other traffic violations to include driver license, registration, insurance, and equipment violations.

In addition to the "Sobriety Checkpoints", the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office has been and will continue to be conducting "Saturation Patrols" commonly known as “Wolf Packs” throughout the month in conjunction with the Sustained Enforcement Program.

The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office Mobile Command Bus will be used for breath testing and processing of arrested individuals. Detention deputies assigned to the Sheriff’s Office Transportation Section will transfer arrested individuals from the checkpoint locations to the Pinellas County Jail.

For more information about the DUI Sustained Enforcement Program contact Sergeant Michael Peasley II of the PCSO DUI Enforcement Unit at (727) 464-8170.

My suggestion, dont drive this weekend, AT ALL :fly:

BTW - I think it will be in full swing tonight with the "DUI Task Force" purposely patrolling bars and night spots waiting for people to leave. I hear they are not "legally" allowed to do this but they did it a couple weeks ago to my roomie. Followed him all the way home from the bar and flipped on there head lights as he was reaching for our front door. The reason for the pull over was littering cause the passenger threw a cig out the window.

fortunately, sobriety checkpoints are illegal in Texas. they're still going to be out in force, but there won't be any random checks.

which reminds me... need to change my left headlight.

I don't know about the legality of random inspections anywhere in the states.

Sprekenzie deutch?

Where's FG?

I think it's actually legal nearly everywhere. There was a big debate about the constitutionality (is that a word?) of it all, but eventually the US supreme court decided that roadside sobriety checks were okay as long as they were conducted properly. Then they left it up to the individual state to decide if they wanted to do it. As long as they don't search your vehicle without your consent, asking you to take a sobriety test isn't a violation.

Here in Maryland/DC they do it alot. I'm never surprised to go through one, and I don't mind either. It doesn't take very long and all it really requires is that you talk to a cop for a few seconds. No skin off my back and it seems to do some good. I'm really against drunk driving though and I think that drunk drivers violate my rights much more than roadside sobriety checkpoints do.

I think it's actually legal nearly everywhere. There was a big debate about the constitutionality (is that a word?) of it all, but eventually the US supreme court decided that roadside sobriety checks were okay as long as they were conducted properly. Then they left it up to the individual state to decide if they wanted to do it. As long as they don't search your vehicle without your consent, asking you to take a sobriety test isn't a violation.

Here in Maryland/DC they do it alot. I'm never surprised to go through one, and I don't mind either. It doesn't take very long and all it really requires is that you talk to a cop for a few seconds. No skin off my back and it seems to do some good. I'm really against drunk driving though and I think that drunk drivers violate my rights much more than roadside sobriety checkpoints do.
Yup. Basically the safety concerns vastly outweigh the minor inconvenience. Besides, virtually every driver's license in the country comes with the stipulation that by using that license to drive on public roads you are automatically consenting to any sobriety test. Refusal means the license - which remains property of the state at all times - can be taken away just like that. :o

Now I would have a problem with cops randomly driving around and pulling people over for sobriety tests but DUI checkpoints do not seem like much of an infringement on freedom of travel. That being said I wonder what kind of data there is to show the efficacy of DUI checkpoints.

edit: and constitutionality is a word :heart: probably one of the most important words any american can know :D

I always thought they were actually stopping you to check license and insurance papers .. and if they THOUGHT you were drunk at the same time .. they can test you.

That way they can say it wasn't a drinking stop and check .. it was for something else .. and you just happened to "look/act" or smell intoxicated.

I always thought they were actually stopping you to check license and insurance papers .. and if they THOUGHT you were drunk at the same time .. they can test you.

That way they can say it wasn't a drinking stop and check .. it was for something else .. and you just happened to "look/act" or smell intoxicated.

as well as outstanding warrants.. which would imply there are less than outstanding warrants as well.. like, "how's your warrant?"

"outstanding!" :fly:

saw this post on MS yesterday..

Here in Maryland they make no excuses for why they are stopping you. They lean in your window to smell your breath while they are explaining that they are looking for drunk drivers. They ask you if you have been drinking that day/evening and if you say yes they ask how many drinks you've had. If they suspect intoxication they ask you to pull your car over so that you can get out and take a sobriety test. If you haven't been drinking or they don't suspect it they give you a safe driver ribbon and send you on your way. If you are a designated driver in a car full of drunk people they give you a safe driver ribbon and a little certificate saying thanks.

I don't drink and drive. Ever.

This approach would probably keep everyone from ever getting a DUI as well. Also, you wouldn't kill someone else in a horrible car accident from being a stupid selfish ASSHOLE!!!!

(I hate when people drink and drive if you can't tell.)

Here in Maryland they make no excuses for why they are stopping you. They lean in your window to smell your breath while they are explaining that they are looking for drunk drivers. They ask you if you have been drinking that day/evening and if you say yes they ask how many drinks you've had. If they suspect intoxication they ask you to pull your car over so that you can get out and take a sobriety test. If you haven't been drinking or they don't suspect it they give you a safe driver ribbon and send you on your way. If you are a designated driver in a car full of drunk people they give you a safe driver ribbon and a little certificate saying thanks.

Legally you only have to roll your window down enough so you can fit your hand out the window. I think actually the law states that you have to be able to fit your license and reg. out the window.

If you are a designated driver in a car full of drunk people they give you a safe driver ribbon and a little certificate saying thanks.

:lol: That's awesome!

When my brothers were little, cops patrolling the neighborhood would stop kids riding bikes with helmets and give them a safety certificate and McDonald's coupons. Whenever my brothers saw a cop they'd run home, grab their bike helmets and drive in front of the cops to get the free coupons.

:p

I've heard the same thing you have but it'd be nice to know if it's true or not. :fly: The only thing driver's ed teachers know is how to teach driver's ed.

Mine knew how to do the yawn... stretch... put his arm around the female's shoulders/cop a feel move.

:p

I've heard the same thing you have but it'd be nice to know if it's true or not. :fly: The only thing driver's ed teachers know is how to teach driver's ed.

i'm sure if a law like this does exist, it is a state law and differs by region. Besides, if you do something conspicuous like that, the cop is just going to ask you to step out of the car anyways.