Does anyone have an Amazon Kindle?

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,380
Steam
mattressfish
I'm seriously thinking of buying one. The Kindle 2 releases at the end of the month. I like that many books are only $9.99. I don't like that I don't have a physical copy, but I'm sure I'll get used to that.

Anyway. What do you guys think?

(For those that don't know)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Generation/dp/B00154JDAI/ref=amb_link_83624371_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0MFT5EQAY1JDQFY24C0R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=469942651&pf_rd_i=507846"]Amazon.com: Kindle: Amazon's 6" Wireless Reading Device (Latest Generation): Kindle Store[/ame]

Isn't this the one that is 100% proprietary? Perhaps you will only ever buy electronic books from Amazon, but if someone comes along later with better deals...

check out it's compatibility with non-amazon filetypes. I've heard different information.

The K2 doesn't have an expansion card slot, the K1 does.

Let me know how you like it.

one thing that i would really really really like would be the ability to search books for a specific phrase. indexed books are nice, full text search would rock.

ugh, i generally refuse to support anything that sony does, but I see they do support pdfs.

And as far as proprietary, I buy just about all my books from Amazon anyway...

I think you can put most formats on the kindle, its just the ones you buy via the amazon wifi are in the kindle format.

I like my dead trees. The entire book industry needs to deal with this stuff, you arent buying the 'book', you are buying the right to have it personally. The problem is that that 'right' is limited by format at the moment, if you own the text copies you should be able to download the e-copies for free and if you own the e-copy the paper version should be available for a nominal price.

Problem I see is that if you have the kindle copy they arent going to let you trade it in for the next media format that comes along so I'd rather stick with the format that has been in use for over a thousand years.

I like the concept but not the price.

It's just doesn't feel the same reading from screen rather than flipping through a book. I hope I will get use to it. I don't read text files of books now but I'd have access to such great literature if I'd just force myself to get use to it.

I love used book stores.

I like my dead trees. The entire book industry needs to deal with this stuff, you arent buying the 'book', you are buying the right to have it personally. The problem is that that 'right' is limited by format at the moment, if you own the text copies you should be able to download the e-copies for free and if you own the e-copy the paper version should be available for a nominal price.

Problem I see is that if you have the kindle copy they arent going to let you trade it in for the next media format that comes along so I'd rather stick with the format that has been in use for over a thousand years.
I haven't looked, but I'm sure the DRM has been cracked, so transferring it to another format probably isn't that hard...
I like the concept but not the price.

It's just doesn't feel the same reading from screen rather than flipping through a book. I hope I will get use to it. I don't read text files of books now but I'd have access to such great literature if I'd just force myself to get use to it.

I love used book stores.

Are you familiar with e-paper? It's not a display, in the classical sense. In fact, the only time it uses battery is to "flip" the page. After that, it will show the same page for years and looks remarkably like paper print.