Computer question.

taeric

Flaccid Member
May 6, 2005
Marklar
₥0
So, after discovering (confirming, really) that my router at home needs to be burned and disposed of, I am now looking to get a replacement. It has to have wireless, as that is the sole reason we have a router. It will also have to deal with interference. I think there are no less than 9 networks visible from my room.

So... any suggestions?

Get a Linksys and flash it with one of the many open source alternate firmwares. You can jack the power output all the way up to 251mW (typical is 80mW). You won't have to worry about adjoining networks at that rate.

theacoustician said:
Considering people are setting up WiFi honeypots for identity theft purposes, that's not always such a hot idea.

I don't think any of the ones I see are honeypots, but they are all encrypted. I could probably knock on the doors of my neighbors and see who it is, but I think my room mate can't see the same ones I can see. :)

taeric said:
I don't think any of the ones I see are honeypots, but they are all encrypted. I could probably knock on the doors of my neighbors and see who it is, but I think my room mate can't see the same ones I can see. :)
Ah, most likely not then.

Of course, I do see a free one for Buckhead there. If only I weren't 28 floors up and could reliably use it.

theacoustician said:
Get a Linksys and flash it with one of the many open source alternate firmwares. You can jack the power output all the way up to 251mW (typical is 80mW). You won't have to worry about adjoining networks at that rate.

Seconded. I just got a WRT54G from Fry's and flashed it to one of the open-source alternatives to add QoS support for my mom's VOIP service. The DD-wrt firmware (like others) also adds the power boosting support, the ability to create VLANs on the 4 internal switch ports plus the wireless lan, support for SSH'ing into the router, the ability to VPN to the router, watchdog services to reboot it if it stops seeing traffic (no hung router any more).

http://www.linksysinfo.org/ has all the info you need.

And be very careful if you go to buy a WRT54G for yourself and make sure you don't buy one of the new v5 versions (they run VxWorks not linux). Check the linksysinfo.org site - they have a guide to let you read the Serial Number on the outside of the box and determine the version of the router so you buy the right one. Fry's in Atlanta had mostly v5's but I dug through and found some 3.1's at the back of the shelf.

Linksys heard such an outcry from the hacking community when they switched from linux to VxWorks that they are producing a WRT54G-L (linux) version now. But I haven't seen it in any store - just online.