Hawt College Football: Week 5 Enough cupcakes, Main Course time.

All it would take is one missed tackle/assignment/block/etc and Illinois could have won the game. Mistakes happen. If this was Michigan you'd be saying the same thing, but instead OSU had the game won after the 3rd play. :tard:

Actually no. 3rd play wouldn't establish a pattern of three and outs. Now if Denard Robinson was taken out in the 3rd play, then I would say yes.

Actually no. 3rd play wouldn't establish a pattern of three and outs. Now if Denard Robinson was taken out in the 3rd play, then I would say yes.

Past performance doesn't indicate future gains. At any time, up until like 3 mins left, they could have broken a big run or pass for a touchdown. Even if they were playing a high school team, that COULD have happened. And if it did, they would have won.

Even though I'm right, I know you'll never admit it. However, I plan to argue this with you until the forum dies along with the universe in a heat death.

Past performance doesn't indicate future gains. At any time, up until like 3 mins left, they could have broken a big run or pass for a touchdown. Even if they were playing a high school team, that COULD have happened. And if it did, they would have won.

Even though I'm right, I know you'll never admit it. However, I plan to argue this with you until the forum dies along with the universe in a heat death.

By that same token the Ohio State vs. Eastern Michigan game wasn't over until halfway through the 4th quarter. After all it takes 6 drives to score 42 points. 6 drives can occur in 7 minutes.

So 73-20 was a much closer score than we thought.

Here are the things you are neglecting regarding that game. Ohio State had a deeper talent level than Illinois. Sure they could have broken a tackle and gotten a first down. But Ohio State's Speed would have tackled them before they gained more than 20 yards.

Illinois didn't and couldn't try long passes. Scheelhaas was harrassed the entire game and never had an opportunity to stay settled enough to pass properly.

Other than one drive, Illinois wasn't able to pass the 50 yard line due to the aforementioned talent level. Once they did get to the red zone on said drive, Ohio States top ranked scoring defense came into play and they didn't move an inch (they actually lost yardage) and were forced into a field goal.

Is there a chance that anything can happen? Sure. But when there's nothing that gives an indication that the opponent is even remotely capable of performing such a feat, then it's safe to say even with a 3 point lead, the game is safely in hand. There's a reason Tressel switched the offense into stereotypical Tresselball. It's because he knew Illinois wouldn't be a danger anymore to win.

Yes, I win.

:happy:

Fine with me. But remeber you based your decision on hypotheticals. I based mine on actuals.

Is there a chance a 5 year old can dunk on an adult basketball hoop? Sure.
Is there a chance shamwow and April won't argue about something inane? Sure.
Is there a chance Pheonix and Knee-moe will have sex with each other? Sure.

But like Illinois scoring, I don't see any of those things happening in reality.

Fine with me. But remeber you based your decision on hypotheticals. I based mine on actuals.

Is there a chance a 5 year old can dunk on an adult basketball hoop? Sure.
Is there a chance shamwow and April won't argue about something inane? Sure.
Is there a chance Pheonix and Knee-moe will have sex with each other? Sure.

But like Illinois scoring, I don't see any of those things happening in reality.

But they did score. TWICE

No they only scored once. Every other score was before 1:50 left in the 1st half.

2nd half results?
3 and out
3 and out
3 and out
3 and out
3 first downs (kicked a FG)
3 and out

So wait. How did they manage to score at all? Couldn't be a fluke right? Was it talent then?

So wait. How did they manage to score at all? Couldn't be a fluke right? Was it talent then?

2 weeks to prepare for Ohio State (they had a bye week) so they come out with their trick plays on their first drive. They score a TD. After that, Ohio State's defense adjusts. They don't score another touchdown.

Ohio State throws an interception after a good Illinois punt and Illinois gets tackled immediatly. They do not advance but were already in field goal range. That's their 2nd score.

Terrelle Pryor gets injured after getting a first down which causes the offense to become anemic temporarily. Incoming backup QB throws an interception.

Ohio State switches to prevent defense for a couple of plays due to some injuries. They move it down while the backups get acclimated to the game. Backups get acclimated fast (talent level) and Illinois no longer advances. Unfortunately, they're already in field goal range so they score again.

During that time, Tressel decides it's time to run out the clock. Boom and Zoom average 5 yards a play consuming the time clock and score a TD.

So it was a fluke then. How likely was it?

It was likely they'd be able to gain yardage as a fluke. It was unlikely they'd be able to get anything more than a field goal as a fluke. So worst case scenario would have been Ohio State not scoring anymore and Illinois getting a field goal. (Including Ohio State just eating the clock. Final score? Ohio State wins 14-13.

Last edited:
It was likely they'd be able to gain yardage as a fluke. It was unlikely they'd be able to get anything more than a field goal as a fluke. So worst case scenario would have been Ohio State not scoring anymore and Illinois getting a field goal. (Including Ohio State just eating the clock. Final score? Ohio State wins 14-13.

They scored both on you. I'd call them equally likely.

They scored both on you. I'd call them equally likely.

You asked me when I said the game was safely in hand. I said after Ohio State took the lead. Why are you still pointing out the first field goal? That occurred before Ohio state scored their 2nd touchdown.

Fluke means it happens once (the field goal) Anything more begins a pattern.