China to build British cars in US

here's a ny times article on it from yesterday

DETROIT, July 11 — Can the mystique of a British sports car be recreated by a Chinese company in America’s heartland?

That’s the bet by Nanjing Automobile Group, which plans to resurrect the fabled MG marque in a tricontinental demonstration of how truly global the automotive industry has become.

Nanjing, which purchased the assets of the bankrupt MG Rover Group last year, aims to be the first Chinese carmaker to open a factory in the United States. The company has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday in Oklahoma to announce plans to build a newly designed MG TF Coupe there, starting in 2008. It said the coupe would compete with cars like the Mazda Miata, which sells for $20,000 to $25,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/12/business/worldbusiness/12auto.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

theacoustician said:
So are Fords, effectively. What's your point?
Ford while built from mexican/chinese/korean parts is owned by an american company... I meant that it's a chinese company more or less building a copy of a british car. They have been doing the same thing with guns/photography equipment/computers for years and the end quality usually leaves something to be desired.

I also hate China :D

SpyderGST said:
British cars built in britian were already of low-enough quality, but to build them in the US couldn't help the matter.
My MG only broke down once. The clutch crapped out, but it was original, so it was about 20 years old. I was actually able to replace it myself. I can't say I would even dream of working on any modern car. If sticker is low and they're easy to tinker with, they will fly off the showroom floors.

theacoustician said:
My MG only broke down once. The clutch crapped out, but it was original, so it was about 20 years old. I was actually able to replace it myself. I can't say I would even dream of working on any modern car. If sticker is low and they're easy to tinker with, they will fly off the showroom floors.
keep in mind though that most americans drive automatic :barf:

aren't most MG's manual?

elpmis said:

aren't most MG's manual?

It amazes me the number of people that cant drive a vehicle with a standard transmission. They should teach that shit in drivers ed or something.

What the frack do the Chinese know about cars? They SHOULD be building us some of their legendary mobile execution trucks. Some people estimate that they polish off about 5,000, - 6,000 prisoners a year over there with those things. We could use some of that in this country, I think.

elpmis said:

aren't most MG's manual?
I don't think I've even ever heard of an automatic MG. May be some that were UK only in the later years. None in the US to my knowledge.

Sarcasmo said:
What the frack do the Chinese know about cars? They SHOULD be building us some of their legendary mobile execution trucks. Some people estimate that they polish off about 5,000, - 6,000 prisoners a year over there with those things. We could use some of that in this country, I think.

the nazis had those too :(

Drool-Boy said:
It amazes me the number of people that cant drive a vehicle with a standard transmission. They should teach that shit in drivers ed or something.
If you live in the city and commute, what's the point for of having a standard transmission? So you can shift every 5 seconds as you stop and go? Screw that. I understand having one in a secondary car you drive for fun, but everyday up and down GA400 in one? I'd shoot myself.

theacoustician said:
If you live in the city and commute, what's the point for of having a standard transmission? So you can shift every 5 seconds as you stop and go? Screw that. I understand having one in a secondary car you drive for fun, but everyday up and down GA400 in one? I'd shoot myself.

I make essentially the same commute, just down 75 instead which might even be worse, and I'd still never take an auto

different strokes
different strokes.png

theacoustician said:

I didnt mean everyone should own one. Just be able to drive one. It should be a basic skill everyone has like reading, riding a bike or skinning hobos.

Drool-Boy said:
I didnt mean everyone should own one. Just be able to drive one. It should be a basic skill everyone has like reading, riding a bike or skinning hobos.
C'mon, I think it's a valuable anti-theft device. No one I know can drive standard. Someone attempted to move my transportation as a joke once and they couldnt figure out how to turn in on. :tard:

Drool-Boy said:
While I see your point, I simply don't get why more cars aren't CVT. Actual gear ratios seems so ... old school and ineffecient.