CellFactor goes live for free!

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
For those of you interested, Ageia (the physics card manufacturer) bought up the developer rights to CellFactor to showcase their card, but you don't have to run the game with the card. They are going to be hosting the game up for a free download.

I don't have the link yet, but this is a preemptive thread.

Anyone else interested in this technology, ie specifically physics processing? I just wish nVidia and ATi (now AMD) would get their heads out of their asses and write some drivers to enable the physics engines on their cards that they have been shipping for a couple of years now.

They really haven't made me interested. Convince me that the idea isn't going to just be antiquated by the breakneck pace of CPU development. I rarely ever find someone who's limited by their CPU primarily in their games. If they do update their CPU, it's usually because they need a new mobo to support a new card and they get the proc on the side.

Also, as I understand it, graphics and sound are good for the card structure because the information flows almost entirely one way, but physics info would have to come back in and then be pushed out to graphics/sound.

I haven't spent a ton of time with it but I'm distinctly unimpressed.

They really haven't made me interested. Convince me that the idea isn't going to just be antiquated by the breakneck pace of CPU development. I rarely ever find someone who's limited by their CPU primarily in their games. If they do update their CPU, it's usually because they need a new mobo to support a new card and they get the proc on the side.

Also, as I understand it, graphics and sound are good for the card structure because the information flows almost entirely one way, but physics info would have to come back in and then be pushed out to graphics/sound.

I also came to the conclusion years ago that in the heat of "battle" I rarely notice flashy graphic sprites and am more focused on what I'm trying to accomplish. Particularly in MP matches.

then you have never tried to game on a dell latitude d620. :(

When I'm mobile I have a Latitude D505. Online chess and poker is about all that can handle. it even chokes and sputters on some of the flash games in the arcade.