Cassette Adapter Headaches

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
I've been trying to get my Palm Treo 700wx to work as an .mp3 player in my car and have been unsuccessful so far.

I bought a cassette adapter and a 3.5mm to 2.5mm headphone jack adapter so that the cassette adapter would fit into my Treo.

First problem, it took about 5 tries before the cassette adapter would stay in my cassette player (1999 Buick Regal standard cassette stereo). Once it was in, I plugged it up to my Treo and put on some tunes. Sound only comes out clear in the right speakers in the car. The left sound like blown speakers.

Normal cassettes play fine in the car, the treo plays fine with headphones. So what's the deal? does the cassette adapter not work with my car, would another brand make a difference? Is the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter the culprit? Can a Treo just not work in this way?

Radioshack guy said it's a problem with WMP Mobile but I think that's a bunch of BS.

You guys have any ideas/comments?

i've had nothing but problems with 2.5 to 3.5mm adapters. my guess is the problem lies there. i've had two of them and they both sucked.

as for keeping the tape in the deck, it helps to start playing music first, then put it in. at least that makes it stay in more readily when i'm playing music from my zen nano through a tape adapter. i haven't tried using my treo 750 as an mp3 player.

Try one of these:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Monster-RadioPlay-Transmitter-MBL-FM-XMTR/dp/B0001Y9UEW"]Amazon.com: Monster Cable RadioPlay Car Stereo Wireless FM Transmitter (MBL-FM XMTR): Electronics[/ame]

I use one for my zune and it works perfectly.

Might have to do with bias and/or cassette deck that takes that weird ass aluminum tapes?
Check the cable to be sure it isn't frayed or broken as well.

lol and sandisk has a 8gig mp3 player for only $149

Yeah, but it doesn't handle email, phone, calendar, and solitaire now does it :p

I didn't buy this thing to be an mp3 player, but it should be able to do that in addition to it's other functions. I don't think that is too much to ask, I know it's capable.

i've always felt the 2.5mm jack is a serious weakness. i'm going to be replacing the head unit in my truck sometime in the new year and i'm definitely getting one that'll be able to link to my phone via bluetooth to play music. just in case i'm going to get one with an SD slot too though.

Yeah, if all else fails i'll just install a new stereo in the car but i'd rather see the adapter work.

I bet that'll sound sweet in the Matador...

08-1974-amc-matador-xrt.jpg

OK, I got the treonauts' approved cassette adapter and 3.5 to 2.5 adapter and I get different results but not the desired results. I get music in all 4 speakers sounding good but the cassette makes a loud noise while it is running, it is just cheaply made. My cassette player spits it out after a few seconds much like the last one I tried. The cassette player is just too sensitive for this clunky tape adapter. I put the same adapter in my truck and it worked fine indefinitely...but it had a really loud and annoying grinding noise the cassette adapter's gears made while running.

So maybe if I can just find a better made cassette adapter it will work. I'm going to try the sony adapter from best buy this weekend. If that fails then screw it, i'm just going to install a new stereo in the car that takes a usb input or SD card input. It will cost the same as a new Zune or IPOD anyways.

Edit: It is really tough to spin the gears in the adapter, my cassette player thinks it has reached the end of the tape and reverses direction. The adapter can only run one direction so the player instantly thinks something is wrong and spits it out. I just need to find one that runs smoothly :(. Best Buy carries this one [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MiniDisc-Discman-Cassette-Adapter/dp/B00005T39Y"]Amazon.com: Sony CPA-9C MiniDisc and Discman Cassette Adapter: Electronics[/ame] , hopefully it will be better

Last edited:
don't be afraid to crack it open and lube the mechanism to make it run more smoothly. just make sure you don't put it into your deck if it's still dripping stuff.