Broadcast flag trying to be snuck in : you have 48 hours

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
Here's the short and sweet. The broadcast flag is the MPAA's attempt to keep you from doing any sort of home recording. It would keep you from:
-Recording shows and watching them later
-Timeshifting shows
-Make it illegal to alter any device to ignore the broadcast flag to do either of the above

This has been tried once and the Supreme Court told the FCC to get its head out of Hollywood's ass and that it didn't have the authority to impliment such a thing. Now, it will be introduced tomorrow before the Senate Appropriations Committee as part of a larger spending bill. That's right, they're going to sneak it in under legislation that must get passed for the government to keep running.

What you can do:

https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?page=UserAction&cmd=display&id=145

If you're from Alabama, Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, or Wisconsin, your Senator is on the Appropriations Committee. Use the above link to call them up or use the webform to drop them an email and tell them you think this is bullshit.

If you value your Tivo/DVR, any portable multimedia device, streaming media, or any form of digital recording device, do something now.

OMG I signed a political petition! I'm like a bona fide American now!!!! :omy:

edit: that would kick ass if my senator slammed her fist on the table and said "For Damon and honest Americans everywhere, WE MUST NOT TOLERATE THIS SORT OF COMMUNISM IN AMERICA!!!!!!"

Or whatever. Just as long as she uses my name on C-Span so the 4 people watching hear it.

Isn't that going to fuck up Tivo and similar digital recording devices? I'd imagine the millions of people in love with those damned things would be pretty pissed if all their systems were deemed illegal or something.

Millions said:
Isn't that going to fuck up Tivo and similar digital recording devices? I'd imagine the millions of people in love with those damned things would be pretty pissed if all their systems were deemed illegal or something.
Yes, it will. With the combination of digital television being mandated by 2007 and this, all your Tivo are belong to them.

Valve1138 said:
I'm glad I kept my VCR.
Exactly what are you going to do with it? Digital set top boxes can be set to not output 480i by the BF. Even if you could scan convert the signal, where are you going to get blank VHS tape? Even Walmart has said they will stop selling tape mid 2006.

theacoustician said:
Exactly what are you going to do with it? Digital set top boxes can be set to not output 480i by the BF. Even if you could scan convert the signal, where are you going to get blank VHS tape? Even Walmart has said they will stop selling tape mid 2006.
time to stock up. worst case, you can use them as christmas presents

believe me, I'll be emailing durbin and fitz tonight

That sucks. Its funny that this irritates me more then the more important issues of our time like crime and war and stuff.

*Fuxx Burger* said:
:eek:
Don't say that! I have to live there!!! :omy:

You'll get used to it once you realize that A) they really don't care how we vote, it's all about them and their agenda, B) they've shown time and again they really don't care how we vote, it's all about them and their agenda, C) they demonstrate over and over that they really don't care how we vote, it's all about them and their agenda, and D) they don't listen to the voice of the people and really don't care how we vote, it's all about them and their agenda.

The fact that we're NOT on that list really surprises me though.