Halp Blew Screen

I was working on a Powerpoint for work once, on my nifty $1,700 uber laptop when I got pissed at some trivial thing and smacked the keyboard. That moment of frustration busted my hard drive. Talk about an expensive lesson that totally wasn't worth it. I don't hit laptops anymore.

Did you break a nail?

I was working on a Powerpoint for work once, on my nifty $1,700 uber laptop when I got pissed at some trivial thing and smacked the keyboard. That moment of frustration busted my hard drive. Talk about an expensive lesson that totally wasn't worth it. I don't hit laptops anymore.

what kind of weakass laptop was that? i had a succession of thinkpads in college that would take a serious beating. frustration smashes, being pulled off a table by the power cord and getting crushed between books.

so far i've been about 80% at recovering drives using ontrack.

the 20% failures almost always ends up being a relatives HD of course. :rolleyes:

edit: takes about a day to run it on a 250gb hd. i normally attach it as an external, have an empty external waiting to receive the data, and just let it run on a laptop i never use.

Last edited:
The problem with Microsoft error codes is that they are very generic. This issue may or may not be possible to fix. The only way to see is to try one of the methods already spoken about.

FYI, this was the 3rd hit on google search for UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

GetDataBack (for ntfs or fat32) is a nice app for attempting to recover lost, deleted, or mangled files. I have had issues with GDB locking up on bad sectors. In those cases, I've found rStudio to handle the bad sectors more effectively by simply skipping over them instead of trying for 4 hours to recover unrecoverable data in that one sector, only to repeat the process several more times with other bad sectors. At least you can recover some of your data instead of losing it all.

I was told a story by an acquaintence who is a computer shop repair tech. He told me once he was able to recover data off of a lady's harddrive where the motor had given up the ghost. He claims to have mounted a drill or router onto the harddrive spindle, found the correct RPM on the drill or router, and was able to allow the computer to read the drive. Supposedly he was able to recover more than 50% of the lady's data off the harddrive. I don't put much faith into this story though.

Let this thread be a lesson to have working data backups, either through one or more external harddrives, online backup services, server with redundant harddrives plus external harddrives, etc.

Let this thread be a lesson to have working data backups, either through one or more external harddrives, online backup services, server with redundant harddrives plus external harddrives, etc.

If you can't afford RAID solutions preferably on a media that has little moving parts (i.e. solid state)

external HD isn't a true backup, neither is raid1, etc... lightning strikes, stolen, house burns down, you still lose all your data. needs to be at a different location.

external HD isn't a true backup, neither is raid1, etc... lightning strikes, stolen, house burns down, you still lose all your data. needs to be at a different location.

if you have 5 zillion exabytes of data that's kind of impossible