Before you buy that new monitor...

That is if they allow the computer to play HD content period. they will probably still restrict it even with all the DRM thats being added in Longhorn anyways. I think the HDMI only or 480 output on HD-DVD is much worse myself, it still is a rather rare port on most affordable TVs.

Ryokurin said:
That is if they allow the computer to play HD content period. they will probably still restrict it even with all the DRM thats being added in Longhorn anyways. I think the HDMI only or 480 output on HD-DVD is much worse myself, it still is a rather rare port on most affordable TVs.
Hmm, Microsoft is going to play ball with the movie industry and enable HDCP but the movie industry isn't going all MS to play HD content on media center PCs? Uh, not likely.

Well, the myth that is going out that the reason why there hasn't been any cablecard support for media center is because the media industry for the most part didnt like the protection that is possible in XP and are in turn waiting for Longhorn before they allow it. Now for the august update they are claiming native digital cable support but they havent clearly said cablecard support so you can take it as you will until its out to be sure.

I really like media center but I can also see the major holes it as too, no doubt they are going to make it work, but its going to be a pain in the ass to get it to work.

SpangeMonkee said:
this won't happen. they'll change it b/c they'll won't a broder customer base. more people are willing to spend $200 on an OS than $500 on a monitor.
Think so grasshopper? Let's consider for a moment that Longhorn's major features either have been released for free ( like WMP10) or aren't going to ship with the product (like WinFS). So by all accounts, there's no reason to buy Longhorn other than eyecandy. MS has spent several years and billions of dollars, they need to sell this OS. How to do it? Make it so people HAVE to buy it in order to see anything on their monitors, period.

Also note that the PS3 will have the same restrictions. No content will come out of that box other than 480i unless you're using a HDCP set. It hasn't been said, but I'm guessing the same will hold true for the Xbox360.

SpangeMonkee said:
this won't happen. they'll change it b/c they'll won't a broder customer base. more people are willing to spend $200 on an OS than $500 on a monitor.
They are seriously considering converting Cable Television to HDCP only in the near future.... This is small beans!

It sure is — when the alternative is a black screen. If OPM determines that your monitor falls below the security restrictions (i.e. isn’t DVI or HDMI w/HDCP), you could be greeted with a “polite message explaining that [your monitor] doesn’t meet security requirements.”

You can hax0r the gibs0n through a monitor now?

fly said:
explain this thing in english
Its a bit stripper much like the SCMS strippers of the days of old (who remembers those beauties)? Problem is that it will defeat current HDCP inplementations, but future ones (like Longhorn) use bi-directional communication making this box useless.

theacoustician said:
read this : http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000143050582/

Basically, if your monitor isn't HDCP compliant and you want to use Longhorn when it comes out, you'll be in for a long, blank experience. This is your nerdy AV PSA for the day.

Super Bonus Content! : Shaun of the Dead is $10 at Target right now.

I'd be willing to place a bet right now saying that is bullshit. Unless of course Longhorn never comes out, in which case everyone is in for a long blank experience.

This reminds me of the days when they kept saying they were going to phase out VGA and shit. Sure, they did a better job at that than they did getting rid of standard def TV, but is that really saying anything?

taeric said:
I'd be willing to place a bet right now saying that is bullshit. Unless of course Longhorn never comes out, in which case everyone is in for a long blank experience.

This reminds me of the days when they kept saying they were going to phase out VGA and shit. Sure, they did a better job at that than they did getting rid of standard def TV, but is that really saying anything?
VGA is going the way of ISA for the simple reason is that not having to deal with D/A converters makes electronics cheaper and simpler.

Bullshit? Have you not seen MS's plans with IPTV? Makes absolute sense plus the point I made above.

I should be more clear, I don't think it is bullshit. I just don't think it will happen. I know they would like for it to, but they would also like the XBox 360 to be the most popular thing on the planet.

And even if VGA is going out, it is still here. They have never just dropped support for it.

Take in mind also that Mac OS is finally coming to the land of x86, if MS drops support for all the existing hardware out there, I think you could see a mass upgrade to Mac. Unless you've seen this on the Mac front? Any word there?