Beer blog, episode 1

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
Because Fly requested me to start a beer thread, I decided to start one out. I guess because chim and I have such a large collection of different beers, I was thinking about doing multiple episodes depending on our experiences.

Starting first week in March:

Most recently I had Willoughby Brewing (microbrew on the east side of Cleveland) Last Stop Stout.

What is interesting about this beer is that it a nitrogen charged. Most traditional brews are carbonated either naturally with CO2, or CO2 has been pumped in later to the kegs for carbonation. If done with nitrogen, the carbonation levels are similar, but the bubbles for the carbonation are much smaller. If you look, for instance, at Guiness which is nitrogen charged, the bubbles are really small, like beaten egg whites. This leads to a creamy texture on the beer and makes it nice and smooth. (On a side note, the twang taste in Guiness so I have heard from my boss who did a tour of the facility in Ireland was the addition of a small amount of spoiled milk).

I am not a fan of too many of their other beers because they are quite boring tasting, but Last Stop Stout is fairly inoffensive and overall quite nice.

Chim had a seasonal beer Abbey Road Belgium Dubbel from Willoughby. Normally I am not a fan of Belgium style beers. Mainly it is the bubble gum yeast they use. But this brew was an American-style Belgium and it wasn't too bad. The yeast was a Belgium strain so it smelled like Bubble Yum on the palate, but the rest of the flavors blended subtly so it masked the sweetness well. 8% but you could taste the alcohol burn a bit because the other flavors were so delecate. Overall enjoyable but as it got warmer, things started tasting more sacchrin and artificial. Overall a nice effort by a brewing company that likes to stay conservative with their recipes and scope, but not outstanding. It was served in a traditional "shaker" style glass which is not at all the appropriate glass, a goblet should be used. This might have been part of the issue as well.

I will try to record more beer tastings and such later if this is interesting to others.

Last edited:
i tried drinking a tiny gulp and i find it so gross.
sometimes i get jealous of ppl chugging a cold beer on a hot day but id rather drink my Stoli & 7

I am sure you have heard this before, but you just haven't found the right beer. My coworker hates beer but after we found out it was because of the carbonation, I had her try a guiness because of the smaller nitrogen charged bubbles and slight coffee taste and she loved it.

Try the Leinenkugels Sunshine Wheat. I just had this particular one for the first time 2 days ago, and found it to be a very tasty, non-bitter beer.

Try the Leinenkugels Sunshine Wheat. I just had this particular one for the first time 2 days ago, and found it to be a very tasty, non-bitter beer.

I have tried that. Meh. Refreshing for a hot summer day, but nothing to enjoyable, not like you would go out of your way for.

the plus side of having to spend summer in the UK is always the summer cask ales that England does so well. I remember one in particular "Scorcher" was fantastic, but it's especially hard to locate a good microbrew here, especially with all this new licencing.

I should be back in the UK by late-August. I extend an eVite for you to come get drunk with my dbzeag. I'll even bring Visker along. Whether that's punishment or not, I'll let you decide.

the plus side of having to spend summer in the UK is always the summer cask ales that England does so well. I remember one in particular "Scorcher" was fantastic, but it's especially hard to locate a good microbrew here, especially with all this new licencing.

I should be back in the UK by late-August. I extend an eVite for you to come get drunk with my dbzeag. I'll even bring Visker along. Whether that's punishment or not, I'll let you decide.

:heart:

cask ales are quite tasty :drool: Dogfish Head Paolo Santo on cask, fucking epic :drool:

i tried drinking a tiny gulp and i find it so gross.
sometimes i get jealous of ppl chugging a cold beer on a hot day but id rather drink my Stoli & 7

This is how I fell in love: Order up a fried meal of wings or fries... something not healthy and drink a cold beer with it. Never has beer tasted so damn refreshing.

I still only like to drink beer when I'm eating.

DBZeag is probably going to disown me now. :(

This is how I fell in love: Order up a fried meal of wings or fries... something not healthy and drink a cold beer with it. Never has beer tasted so damn refreshing.

I still only like to drink beer when I'm eating.

DBZeag is probably going to disown me now. :(

Not at all. Actually chim and I went to a fantastic beer and food pairing tasting last month and we are going to another one next week specializing with Bell's brewery.

Quite actually you can have a wonderful beer with wonderful food and have it pair well.

Of course you can have silly overly spiced chicken wings with a cold refreshing beverage and that works, too. Of course I prefer Dogfish Head Raison d'Extra with a bread pudding drizzled with a Raison d'Extra reduction sauce.

:drool:

My favorite beer is Shiner, runner up Newcastle. Dark beers are so much more refined.

:haaay:

There are light beers that are fairly epic as well, you know.

My favorite of all time is a glass of Delerium Tremens (a light Belgium ale) poured in the appropriate goblet that was adequately rinsed with cool water and "assembled" with the appropriate amount of head, done by an expert server.

:drool:

so what are your opinions are bud light?

:D

Appropriate for the given context.

IE: Guzzling down one (or five) on your way to the bar after beating your wife for not frying your wings properly, donning your nicest white tank top and the jeans with the least amount of stains and holes for a night out with Jed and Cletus.

Or Bud light works great to sober up after a beer drinking outing with me before you drive home :D