[Article] Article: got an officemax near you? quick gift card churn

This is a pretty easy churn if you happen to be lucky enough to have an OfficeMax near you. Through Saturday, OfficeMax is offering $10 off each $50 Mastercard gift card when you buy two. Each card has a $4.95 activation fee, which brings the total to $89.90 for $100 in gift cards. Sweet deal right?

It gets better.

Apparently various bloggers are reporting that you can use those gift cards that you just purchased to buy more gift cards! Here's a quick breakdown.

1. Buy $100 in gift cards. Total cost $89.90
2. Using those two gift cards, buy two more. You now have two $50 gift cards and another one with $10.10.
3. Loop this over and over, earning a 'free' $10.10 with every loop.

Obviously, its probably not advisable to do this like 30 times in an hour with the same cashier. But over the next few days, there is time to generate some seriously free money. I'll take a single $50 gift from you as a finders fee if you do this. :p

1OHsp.jpg

id guess you could get through the cashier 5x max at any one store.

So 50 bucks.

Pure speculation. But let's assume that your random number is correct. Since we're assuming, we'll also assume the OfficeMax is right by your work. You stop by before work, earn your $50, at lunch, earn your $50, after work, earn your $50. And continue to do that until Saturday. One person is $600 richer, while you sit sadly in the corner!

edit: And all bets are off if you have multiple stores. This is how the big boys earn $1k+ a month through these deals.

all the time i would spend doing that is worth more than 600 dollars.

I find that hard to believe. But whatever, it doesn't scale for you. If one had enough stores in the area it would be easy enough to make a grand or two a day for maybe 3-4 hours worth of work. But it's all about what you're willing to put in.

2 grand a day for 3 hours a day is worth it. I dont see this doing that. Thats 200 trips through the cashier.

2 grand a day for 3 hours a day is worth it. I dont see this doing that. Thats 200 trips through the cashier.

You can ring up multiple transactions at once. Bring 8 cards (or more) and ask them to ring it up in 4 different transactions. The*trick* is finding the best way to scale it. However, even if it doesn't scale well, a couple hundred dollars for trying isn't too bad.

Can't we just buy them wholesale, like 10,000 at a time? I'm sure companies do that as incentives. You're thinking way too small Fly, this could be millions a day if you just think bigger.

Using a zimmer frame to get to the DJ booth is probably a buzz kill for the audience.

They normally wheel me into the booth before anyone arrives. The problem is that I have, at one time or another, offended just about everyone in the business. I blame them for giving me free bar. What did they expect other than drunken abuse. I was so much nicer when it was all E's rather than alcohol.