Halp Any of you Americans ever thought of exsanguinating?

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,363
Steam
mattressfish
So Ape and I have kinda chatted about this on and off before. On one of the finance forums I go to there have been a couple of threads about it recently. So its been on my radar a lot lately. Especially since its an easy way to 'cheat' into financial independence, which is a big goal of ours. There are PLENTY of nice places around the world to live for 10% or less of what it requires to live here.

Over the weekend, we met with some friends of friends who just got back from two years in Honduras and are now on their way to Burma. Some really cool cats with some great stories. The coolest part about them: flip phones. Yeah, neither of them have fancy $700 iPhones and shit. They have no home. They have no place chocked full of their useless shit that they have acquired over the years. It's just them, two suitcases, and two cats. They have what we long for, simplicity. And they have it in spades.

So have any of you US bound folks ever thought of doing this? I think it just sucks that we're wasting away in an office, when we could be out seeing the world for pennies on a dollar. The real world. Not some fake US recreation in some shitty Caribbean island for two weeks every year.

I'm thinking Chile. It's supposed to be absolutely beautiful with a stable government, low crime, and costs very little to live there. Additionally, no matter where you are in Chile, you're never more than two hours away from either the ocean or the mountains. You can obtain residency there by proving that you can maintain $300/mo in investment income (that number is their minimum monthly wage). We can do that and quite a bit more. Oh and the best part, our money from US investments is tax free there. If we needed extra cash, a lot of expats go there and teach. I wouldn't even mind doing that for some extra dinero.

So how about you?

@Fat Melissa: Ever been to Chile? Can you teach us Spanish?

Last edited:
But what would you do with Wes???

Anyhoo, I have been to Chile yes, when i was a kid, nice from what I remember.

Chile has some serious earthquakes tho, so be prepared for a concert slab to land on April, or worse ETFC!!!
I will teach you guys Spanish!!! Yay!

I love this idea you got brewing !
I lived in 5 countries by the time I was 20. I loved it. So much to see out there!

Before Burma, they were in Honduras. I don't recall the city, but its supposed to be one of the most dangerous in the world. They were there two years. The worst that happened to them was some teenagers stole her wallet that was hanging from a strap on her wrist.

A friend of mine is doing exactly this in Asia. Vietnam, Siagon, Malaysia. He's sent me job listings for out there...

I'd have to figure out how to live without all my shit, though. Turning my place into a rental and passing it off to a management company wouldn't be an issue.

But what would you do with Wes???

Anyhoo, I have been to Chile yes, when i was a kid, nice from what I remember.

Chile has some serious earthquakes tho, so be prepared for a concert slab to land on April, or worse ETFC!!!
I will teach you guys Spanish!!! Yay!

I love this idea you got brewing !
I lived in 5 countries by the time I was 20. I loved it. So much to see out there!

Yeah, I read about the earthquakes. I'd want to live away from the coast because of that, but apparently they have very strict building codes there.

A friend of mine is doing exactly this in Asia. Vietnam, Siagon, Malaysia. He's sent me job listings for out there...

I'd have to figure out how to live without all my shit, though. Turning my place into a rental and passing it off to a management company wouldn't be an issue.

Losing all this shit would be my favorite part. People (us included) tend to think their shit is their identity and it SO isn't.

Losing all this shit would be my favorite part. People (us included) tend to think their shit is their identity and it SO isn't.

For me, it's not my identity. It's just my comfort zone. Weird concept but there it is. I like having a place to call home. And considering I spent the past 12 years rebuilding everything from nothing, it's accomplishment! :lol:

Honestly, living like that would pretty much force me to live without the internet and such, which is exactly what I need.

You guys remember I moved to Peru with Kiko for a year.
We had nothiiiiing. At first we stayed with people we knew friends and family, But when we ventured off on our own we literally started with nothing. Just a mattress our suitcases and my laptop. By far the best experience I ever had. And I would do it again

You guys remember I moved to Peru with Kiko for a year.
We had nothiiiiing. At first we stayed with people we knew friends and family, But when we ventured off on our own we literally started with nothing. Just a mattress our suitcases and my laptop. By far the best experience I ever had. And I would do it again

wow! bet that was an interesting experience!

Zac, I am so happy you made this thread!!!!
Today Kiko's father called me to tell me that he will be moving to The Cayman Islands for one year and then moving on to Brazil... For good :nev:
All I told him was if he was going to do this he would need to sign everything and all his rights over to me and he agreed!!! This opens the door for me to get up and leave Canada with Kiko YAAAY!
But I'm getting ahead of myself, I don't want to get too excited. I need my papers and he needs to go.