An arcade cabinet in your house for less than $500

I'd take the table version of Ms. Pac Man and Galaga in a heartbeat if they put that out..... actually I might have an extra pc soon that would be a perfect donor for a MAME cabinet. I've already got my kids hooked on Dig-Dug, Frogger, Ms Pac Man and Galaga, so it's almost a no-brainer.

And I would endlessly play a game called Cabal. I easily dropped a couple hundred over the years on that game. Something about the roller ball controller that made it fast and furious that kept me addicted.

theacoustician said:
That would be badass. I wish there were plans out there for making your own table since they've almost entirely stopped making them now.

why don't you and spange make one? y'all work well together, are both brilliant, and that would be fun!!!

Thorn Bird said:
why don't you and spange make one? y'all work well together, are both brilliant, and that would be fun!!!
May only reservation is that I would have no place to put it when we're done. I can't really think where you'd put it in your house either.

Bubbles said:
I'd rather have an old pinball table. My grandfather used to have one and we would have head 2 head battles that lasted all weekend. Now THAT was fun. :)

YES! Pinball is da bomb! I :heart: pinball. They had a Star Wars pinball machine set up at our Publix for awhile. Didn't get to play it much tho cuz some bratty kid was always hogging it.

We've got a pizza place near out house that has a Simpsons pinball machine too. :cool:

Pandora said:
YES! Pinball is da bomb! I :heart: pinball. They had a Star Wars pinball machine set up at our Publix for awhile. Didn't get to play it much tho cuz some bratty kid was always hogging it.

We've got a pizza place near out house that has a Simpsons pinball machine too. :cool:

That Star Wars one is awesome..... I miss pinball machines :(

Pandora said:

I can only find pinball at the bowling alley and there are always douche bag little kids on it.....like they can fully enjoy the beauty of pinball after growing up with XBOX. :fly:

Sarcasmo said:
Those emulators are cheaper than that, aren't they? Those cabinet kits you build yourself?
No, the cabinet kits are more expensive when you factor in shipping and the monitor. They do have the bonus of being decorated in whatever way you want though.

theacoustician said:
Dude, you need what ... a PIII to run MAME? You probably could fit every ROM in existance up till the current generation of consoles onto a 20GB drive? Maybe 256 of memory? I bet you could find people giving away or selling that stuff for next to nothing. It would be cool as shit.
well main reason why I don't own a pc becasue I know I would slip back in to my obbessed gamer mode and spend all waking hours on it.

theacoustician said:
No, the cabinet kits are more expensive when you factor in shipping and the monitor. They do have the bonus of being decorated in whatever way you want though.

Yeah, and you can have those 7 button setups for about 4 people. That's pretty killer. If Target does a Samurai Showdown one, I guarantee they will sell at least one. Of course, there's a licensing issue there but they need to do eet.

theacoustician said:
Dude, you need what ... a PIII to run MAME? You probably could fit every ROM in existance up till the current generation of consoles onto a 20GB drive? Maybe 256 of memory? I bet you could find people giving away or selling that stuff for next to nothing. It would be cool as shit.

Sounds about right.... I've actually got something like 27gb of mame. There's .chd files for some of the newer games that had hard drives in 'em. Otherwise, I think you're spot on with your specs.