AMD/ATI suck

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,039
Well now their stuff might be technologically sound, but holy hell do they suck at business.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1700AP_Microsoft_India.html

They are the chip suppliers for the One PC for every child push AND the cheap MS PCs for Indian students. You are talking a few billion there. They have the exclusive contract for these PCs, not Intel. And they are hitting record lows with mounting debt.

Are you kidding me?

And this last line of video cards was just an abomination.

Also, where was the great merger of ATI boards with 45nm chips from AMD's own fab? Or some of the best integrated video ever seen on a mobo?

Boot Hector is what I am saying.

/out

I'd say the majority of their current losses is due to the fact that they have no comparable products out there right now that can compete with intel's hardware. Mainly the Core 2 Duo, AMD sunk a lot of money in their Socket 939/AM2 dual core cpus but none of them hold a candle to the core 2 duo line. Intel did it better and cheaper.

I am a huge AMD fan, always have been. I have always recommended AMD to anyone who asked. my current build is powered by an AMD X2 3800+

But today I'd say core 2 duo hands down until I see AMD put something better out there.

As for the ATI line of graphics cards, I don't know what they are doing there. I think it got put on the back burner because their bread and butter (cpus) just got taken away from them.

I think you're expecting a lot too fast. This was a huge merger and bumps/snafus are to be expected. The company that will eventually emerge will be a damn slick beast tho.

Oh, I wasn't expecting miracles in 2 weeks, but AMD is giving up their own fab? Not only do they have CPU to make, but now GPU on in that fab that is arguably the most advanced in the world and they want to sell it off?

I would like to see a 45nm with SOI GPU hand nvidia its ass to them. I would like to see a mobo with more than 30fps in Quake 3 at 1024x768. Crossfire communication using HyperTransport? :drool:
Just let me see plans that things like this are even considered instead of taking DEC/Alpha engineers and laying them off to make a better profit margin (or debt margin) as the case may be.

for a basic dual core system, nothing intel has can touch amd price wise.

athlon 64 x2 3800+ for $60? yes please! the cheapest core 2 duo is the e4300 at $120.

It will still play everything you have just fine with a decent video card if your main thing is gaming. And it wil be more than enough if you do anything else.

Last edited:
for a basic dual core system, nothing intel has can touch amd price wise.

athlon 64 x2 3800+ for $60? yes please! the cheapest core 2 duo is the e4300 at $120.

It will still play everything you have just fine with a decent video card if your main thing is gaming. And it wil be more than enough if you do anything else.

*cough*

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103036
vs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116249

i don't think you can compare a pentium D to an athlon 64

Why not? It is the cheapest dual core Intel has. He was comparing it to the cheapest AMD has. And the P-D has more cache, of course it will need it, though.