WTF Amazon Prime Membership Deal?

My package has shipped with an estimated delivery date of tomorrow. It must be leaving from the Amazon warehouse that's about 5 miles down the road.

You don't understand WHS, I don't understand that.

What do you mean I don't understand? I am running a torrent server on it right now, scheduling antivirus, running backups, and working on dropboxing "cloud" backups. I am still searching for a nice SpeedFan app type add on, but still not finding it.

How can you not understand a 5-drive external enclosure with built-in maintenance-free RAID connecting to either eSATA, Firewire 800, or USB? You suck at being a nerd.

What do you mean I don't understand? I am running a torrent server on it right now, scheduling antivirus, running backups, and working on dropboxing "cloud" backups. I am still searching for a nice SpeedFan app type add on, but still not finding it.

How can you not understand a 5-drive external enclosure with built-in maintenance-free RAID connecting to either eSATA, Firewire 800, or USB? You suck at being a nerd.

Why wouldn't I just stick those drives in a machine? That's what I don't get. Why pay for a snzzy external enclosure?

Why wouldn't I just stick those drives in a machine? That's what I don't get. Why pay for a snzzy external enclosure?

built-in maintenance-free RAID of any size drive and with the drobo fs, dual drive failure support. Also hot swappable. You would have to get some swappable enclosures and do some magic with ZFS to pull off the same tricks.

Just a curiosity, why do you keep stressing that it's "maintenance-free" RAID?

I don't believe I've ever worked with a RAID implementation that required anything more than failed disks to be swapped.

At least not in the last 10 years.

There's nothing to set up, no formatting you have to do, and you can do any sized drive, so you don't have to do any tricks with partitions to get the sizes correct, etc. You don't have to set up arrays or anything. When you want, you can swap out a 500gb drive for a 2tb and don't have to do anything with the partition tables or RAID arrays. the Drobo does all of that for you.

You can't do that with a conventional RAID.

It's not possible with drives of different sizes that I know of. That would be difficult, wouldn't you think?

You wouldn't be able to use the space on the larger drive in a typical raid, no.

I'm too much of a stickler for symmetry to have ever worried about that though :fly:

Of course I have expanded arrays by replacing each drive in the array with a larger one, waiting for the rebuild, repeat, etc. Then you can use the extra space.

You wouldn't be able to use the space on the larger drive in a typical raid, no.

I'm too much of a stickler for symmetry to have ever worried about that though :fly:

Of course I have expanded arrays by replacing each drive in the array with a larger one, waiting for the rebuild, repeat, etc. Then you can use the extra space.

Right, and drobo does all that for you. We had a 300 + 400 + 1000 + 1500 at one time. Swapped out the 300 and 400 with two 2000 and didn't have to do a thing except to wait at each one after it has finished automatically formatting. And the data on the other drives wasn't touched and always available.

http://drobo.com/resources/drobodemo.php

I can do that with Windows Home Server

except for hot swap, but who the fuck does that at home?

*raises hand*

And WHS is JBOD, kinda. If one drive fails, the others aren't going to have all of the data. And it won't be in-real-time recovery, either.