A benefit to excessive travel for work

DirkPhoenix

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Austin, Land of pot and...pot
www.jesustomars.com
Marklar
₥0
My boss just told us about how the good part of traveling for work. He travels so much, he's an AmericanAirlines Advantage Platinum member, and the same level with Hilton hotels. He was able to take his entire family of 5 to Hawaii for a week and didn't pay for tickets or hotel.

Who else travels that much? I'm hoping to pay for my ticket to Chicago the same way.

Very nice. We have tons of people where I work that are like that. We have our own in house travel agency that offers discounts to employees for nonwork related stuff too.

I do get paid .48 a mile now for any driving I do, paid city parking, and freight zone parking.

b_sinning said:
Very nice. We have tons of people where I work that are like that. We have our own in house travel agency that offers discounts to employees for nonwork related stuff too.

I do get paid .48 a mile now for any driving I do, paid city parking, and freight zone parking.
You should have them lower it to .375 a mile or else you'll be taxed on that milage.

DirkPhoenix said:
My boss just told us about how the good part of traveling for work. He travels so much, he's an AmericanAirlines Advantage Platinum member, and the same level with Hilton hotels. He was able to take his entire family of 5 to Hawaii for a week and didn't pay for tickets or hotel.

Who else travels that much? I'm hoping to pay for my ticket to Chicago the same way.

I just started traveling for work this year - 5 trips so far. So not many miles yet. But - I meet this guy on a flight that had millions of miles. Turns out he was a pilot for the DEA in Tampa (retired this year). He was one of those platinum members with all the special privs 'Admirals club'.

My dad was that way before he retired, travelling to Asia constantly for business. I think when all was said and done he had reached the level of Advantage Diamond-Encrusted Platinum with Sapphire and Emerald Accents member. He hadn't paid for vacation travel or hotel expenses in about 10 years.

theacoustician said:
You should have them lower it to .375 a mile or else you'll be taxed on that milage.

Only if you report it. It was that low but they upped it to make up for gas prices after everyone started bitching.

b_sinning said:
Only if you report it. It was that low but they upped it to make up for gas prices after everyone started bitching.
If the university doesn't report it, they can lose their accreditation. They have to keep the books properly or they'll end up like Morris Brown.

theacoustician said:
If the university doesn't report it, they can lose their accreditation. They have to keep the books properly or they'll end up like Morris Brown.

True. The accounting people here are really good at their jobs. They do some form of taxation on it. I rarely bother filing mileage unless I go out of town for work purposes but after I switch jobs in a few months I will be driving around town alot and will be keeping mileage logs.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Yeah, my company sent out the notice about going to 48 this morning. It wouldn't be like them to do anything that's not perfectly in line with the IRS.

We just went up like a week ago so it makes sense.

They also said they want me available more often and I told them I'm not using my cellphone for workstuff so now they make me carry a blackberry. So now I'll just get rid of my personal cell and save me some cash. I'm not a big cell phone talker so they won't care about me using it for personal stuff too.

b_sinning said:
We just went up like a week ago so it makes sense.

They also said they want me available more often and I told them I'm not using my cellphone for workstuff so now they make me carry a blackberry. So now I'll just get rid of my personal cell and save me some cash. I'm not a big cell phone talker so they won't care about me using it for personal stuff too.
Yeah, it's not like they audit the calls unless you're going over the rate plan usually.

They pay closer attention to our desk phones :lol:

ChikkenNoodul said:
Yeah, it's not like they audit the calls unless you're going over the rate plan usually.

They pay closer attention to our desk phones :lol:

We manage all of our own phone equipment so it's cheap. The only thing that would ever bitch about is if you ran up a few hundred dollars in long distance calls and couldn't explain it if asked. I've never had them ask anything about my phone usage or asking anyone elses.