Marklar
₥21,157
Side of house in early march...

372460eefa93c518.jpg

Side of house yesterday,

372460eefa93a1f3.jpg

Side of house right now,

372460eef966ab91.jpg

You cant tell but it looks like a drunk put up the first two sheets of asphalt paper. The first row travels about a foot up and to the left, the second row travels down and to the right about 2 feet. I bought it at 10pm last night and wasnt sure exactly what weight to get, so I got the heaviest stuff they had (price difference was only a dollar), that is #30, which is apparently not what I'm used to handling. The ends curled hard enough to pull the staples out of the sheathing so it's all attached with ring shank galvanized roofing nails (the only nails I had with a big head on them). Then the nails got a coat of asphalt and picture.

All I have to do is lay a single course of cement blocks on each side of the door (water splashing issues), and I can pop in the door. Then siding + soffit. Lowes has cement board siding for mad cheap, $300 to do the whole building so...

Then for the interior which is relatively simple, just have to rewire 7 outlets and fire-tape drywall. Since the water is still off I dont see any reason to fix the bathroom just yet. The hard part is done though, supporting the roof while removing the old wall was a bitch.

If anyone wants 1x8 tongue and groove southern pine sheathing, or 32x54 replacement double hung windows just ask. The windows were a mistake and are still in wrap and the sheathing is old w/o nails. :p

What room is being remodeled?

Looks good.
It started cause my brother caught the building on fire:

The room in the above pics circa dec.

372457d9ce2aac8c.jpg

All the stuff in there is mine btw. I started washing the walls, and then tried stipping them, nothing would get the smoke off so I figured, eh, redrwall it, no big deal.

Then I started taking it down and the floor was wet... o_O

372459c487383d5a.jpg

And the insulation was wet. So I cut a hole in the subfloor and the mudsill was complete rotten, and the sheathing about 2 feet up. So I had to jack up the walls and start replacing it. While jacking it up the studs just snapped in half lengthwise. So it was easier to just replace them...

37246075a1b65f5f.jpg

And the nasty windows,

37246075a1b63c3a.jpg

And then we are where we are now.

Again I ask: Why didn't you just tear down the entire building and start over?
It's not mine, squatting is hard when you cant lock the doors. The entire other side and roof are still ok though. The north wall (where the kitchen is, with the glider window) and the now replaced wall, and the back wall are all that is bad.

A new building, same size, would cost about $8k, fixing this, about $1500. I've only spent about $200. Nails are the biggest expense. My choice would be to torch it though... :(

why nails and not screws? I will never understand that. maybe I just don't know enough about framing, but when I had to do framing, I found that deck screws went in better and much faster. Cost is roughly the same.

Sell the window on craigslist or something.

why nails and not screws? I will never understand that. maybe I just don't know enough about framing, but when I had to do framing, I found that deck screws went in better and much faster. Cost is roughly the same.

Sell the window on craigslist or something.
Screws take forever to drive and the heads strip, youll get on halfway in and the head tears off, then with the bolt cutters and driving another one. They are also more expensive when you need anything except drywall screws. The sill along the bottom is screwed together with 3" hot dipped deck screws, which cost $5 a lb (about 50 of them). 16d (3-1/2") hot dipped spiral nails cost $1.57 per lb and I can drive them in 2 swings, one tap to set, then one to drive. When you have to put one in every 12", on every stud, across an entire wall the time difference is huge.