Zombies...

Galen said:
I'd attempt to explain it if I had not already switched my brain off for the night. Maybe if this thread is still alive tomorrow I'll have a stab.
Dunno if you read Scientific American at all, but they had an excellent article about being frozen and reanimated. Something about pumping all the blood out and putting sulfur dioxide in. They did it to a dog for like a couple of hours, then pumped the blood back in and he was fine...

Monkeys are next...

edit: I meant suspended animation, but whatever

Last edited:
Millions said:
C.) Prove or disprove the existance of god (Flatliners anyone?).

Somehow I don't think that would work. If I were God and I were deliberately hiding myself from mortals I don't think I'd be fooled by a clinical trick. I don't think I'd jump out from behind a bush and go "Ha! I AM real!!! Now you know! Wait, you were only flatlining temporarily? Shit, don't tell anyone, k?"

Fat Burger said:
How would it do that, exactly? :confused:

You didn't see Flatliners? They intentionally killed themselves to see what was in the afterlife and had their doctor friends revive them a few minutes later. It was wild. Keifer Sutherland was in it. Yep.

So...you know...you could die, be dead for hours, see what was there and come back sometime later.

Sarcasmo said:
Somehow I don't think that would work. If I were God...

...I would be frightened. :p

fly said:
Dunno if you read Scientific American at all, but they had an excellent article about being frozen and reanimated. Something about pumping all the blood out and putting sulfur dioxide in. They did it to a dog for like a couple of hours, then pumped the blood back in and he was fine...

Monkeys are next...

The last issue I got of scientific american was on the topic of quantum recognition. It's a great magazine (as New Scientist is basically made up of a few articles then page after page of job advertisments for analytical chemists), I would love to be able to get it again. Great reading.
That article sounds rad by the way.

I have my doubts of any human ever surviving a process that involved pumping all the blood out of their body. How knows what type of brain damage, organ, and tissue damage that would cause. How in the hell would they do it fast enough?

b_sinning said:
I have my doubts of any human ever surviving a process that involved pumping all the blood out of their body. How knows what type of brain damage, organ, and tissue damage that would cause. How in the hell would they do it fast enough?
The cells take in the sulfur dioxide (I think thats what it was) faster than they take the oxygen from the blood. Instead of powering the cell, it powers the cell down quickly preventing damage.

I'll see if I still have the article, and/or if they have it online for subscribers...

They did some sort of mental tests on the dog before and afterwords, he appeared fine... :iono:

fly said:
The cells take in the sulfur dioxide (I think thats what it was) faster than they take the oxygen from the blood. Instead of powering the cell, it powers the cell down quickly preventing damage.

I'll see if I still have the article, and/or if they have it online for subscribers...

They did some sort of mental tests on the dog before and afterwords, he appeared fine... :iono:

Yeah but thats a dog. If he's able to lick his nuts they call that fine.

fly said:

Monkeys are next...

How the heck did they know that the dog was okay in that case or in the link Galen posted? Hell, he could have gone completely batshit crazy and they wouldn't have known.

fly said:

"So Rover, what do you see here"

*shows dog a rorchak inkblot*

Millions said:
...I would be frightened. :p

You would be grateful. No more stupid people, no more organized religion....well, except for mine of course, and the flaming, tortured deaths of all who don't abide by it...

zengirl said:
The part I don't understand is how they abate brain damage. Blood supplies oxygen to the brain, generally more than 5 minutes of oxygen deprivation causes irreversible brain damage. It's too complicated for me to understand
Cold water drowning victims have been revived long after 5 minutes with little or no ill effects.