Zombies...

why_ask_why said:
that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me
I'm getting teary eyed :eek:
Um.. is it sentiment or the you know what you have strategically placed you know where? :fly:

zengirl said:
What people don't understand is the biggest problem with freezing is cell integrity. People who are placed in liquid nitrogen and frozen with the hopes of being reanimated are wasting their money. When a cell is frozen, the water inside of it expands and damages the cell. Upon thawing, the damaged cell no longer has any structure to it (which is why many things like fresh fruit and such get soggy after you thaw them) I don't understand how people think they can reanimate a brain after it's been frozen, don't they understand biology?
Liquid nitrogen is NOT water, thus the solution is not hypotonic nor hypertonic. No expansion will happen under these conditions. However, if the cell was placed in water and then frozen, of course! but we're not talking about that.

edit: A nice example here would be sperm. Lovely lovely sperm.

Last edited:
Galen said:
Liquid nitrogen is NOT water, thus the solution is not hypotonic nor hypertonic. No expansion will happen under these conditions. However, if the cell was placed in water and then frozen, of course! but we're not talking about that.

A cell contains water

fly said:
A cell contains water
In vacular storage, yes, but it must also be surrounded by water to make the transformation zengirl is talking about. The form of freezing she mentioned is used for storing sperm, eggs etc. without denaturizing them.

Galen said:

I'm speaking of the water that already exists within the cell.

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/cell.html

Drool-Boy said:
I saw the movie in question (Land of the Dead) this weekend and I was dissapointed. Not very good at all. I expected so much more.
Kind of like with every movie that's ever been forum hyped. In particular, Sin City. What a pile of dogshit.

Galen said:
Of course there's water in the cell, but when it's frozen inhibitors are added to stop it denaturizing. The most crucial stage is thawing where most of the damage can occur if it's not done right.
This is why you should only have to pay after you're thawed. :fly:

Drool-Boy said:
I actually enjoyed sin city, I dig the syle of it
Land of the dead was just st00pid andpointless
Oh it looks very good, but it's lacking in every other aspect. I don't think I'll bother seeing Land of the Dead, just by the name I can tell I won't like it.

zengirl said:
This is why you should only have to pay after you're thawed. :fly:
But then they'll hold your man parts as collateral :(

not YOUR man parts of course... I mean... you know... a mans man parts :shifty:

zengirl said:
The part I don't understand is how they abate brain damage. Blood supplies oxygen to the brain, generally more than 5 minutes of oxygen deprivation causes irreversible brain damage. It's too complicated for me to understand

...uh...it's magic. Yeah.

Galen said:
I'd attempt to explain it if I had not already switched my brain off for the night. Maybe if this thread is still alive tomorrow I'll have a stab.
I took a bio class like 5 years ago :fly: I wouldn't understand what you were saying if you did explain it. Booze killz brain cellz yo.

zengirl said:
I took a bio class like 5 years ago :fly: I wouldn't understand what you were saying if you did explain it. Booze killz brain cellz yo.
You have a good understanding, I -kind- of know the process, at least I've read about it before. :D

Galen said:
You have a good understanding, I -kind- of know the process, at least I've read about it before. :D
I dunno man, I used to think I was really smart, and then I sobered up :fly: