Your thoughts on the Helio Ocean

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So I am thinking about swapping my brilliant treo 650 to something else. I want another Treo, but I am keeping my eyes open for other options.

Sorry, blackberries just suck, no matter what you say, w_a_w.

http://www.finawireless.com/helio/helio-ocean-black.php

$195 shipped, $65/mo for 500 anytime and unlimited texting and data and chats. That's cheaper than I am paying now (which was a good price) and I would get texts covered. This also comes with a headset.

Anyone?

I remember my co-worker had an Ocean and she hated it to the point where she returned it for an iPhone... so I asked her what she thought, here's you response:

"well, firstly you cannot do anything without having either the keyboard or the numpad sticking out - and as soon as you slide it back in the damned thing shuts down and you lose what you were doing, that's a horrible design concept especially since it is REALLY uncomfortable to do anything while those are sticking out

i had to download software for google maps - and in my case the download failed twice... then I gave up trying

customer service kept me on hold for 2.5 hours, kept transferring me from one department to another.

Service is not exactly cheap - more expensive than service for iphone

they have a hell of a lot less towers than other phone companies so the signal loss is much more likely

oh, and they could not activate it - gave me a temporary number while their systems were down. wtf are my friends going to do, call me on temp number? completely retarded. so yeah, I was very unhappy with it"

I remember my co-worker had an Ocean and she hated it to the point where she returned it for an iPhone... so I asked her what she thought, here's you response:

"well, firstly you cannot do anything without having either the keyboard or the numpad sticking out - and as soon as you slide it back in the damned thing shuts down and you lose what you were doing, that's a horrible design concept especially since it is REALLY uncomfortable to do anything while those are sticking out

i had to download software for google maps - and in my case the download failed twice... then I gave up trying

customer service kept me on hold for 2.5 hours, kept transferring me from one department to another.

they have a hell of a lot less towers than other phone companies so the signal loss is much more likely

oh, and they could not activate it - gave me a temporary number while their systems were down. wtf are my friends going to do, call me on temp number? completely retarded. so yeah, I was very unhappy with it"

You cannot take the technical advice of a WOMAN who bought an IPHONE.

500 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, unlimited data, unlimited texting, no roaming for $65. That's by far cheaper than any other plan I have seen.

Helio uses CDMA towers, so Verison and Sprint. In Cleveland, we are a Sprint town. I use the same towers through Earthlink that Helio will use, so my coverage is outstanding.

I doubt their systems are down now. They have been "online" for quite a while now.

The google maps software is included now. The download for her might have been slow because she might not have been on a fully supported 3G coverage zone, but I am in Cleveland.

The only thing that concerns me is that you have to have it open to do anything. But again, that isn't entirely true. To take pics or listen to music like a media player, you don't have to have it open.

Oh, and they are running a special, free Motorola bluetooth headset. Also unlimited minutes anytime for $97 a month along with the other services. Seems an awesome price to me.

500 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, unlimited data, unlimited texting, no roaming for $65. That's by far cheaper than any other plan I have seen.

Helio uses CDMA towers, so Verison and Sprint. In Cleveland, we are a Sprint town. I use the same towers through Earthlink that Helio will use, so my coverage is outstanding.

I doubt their systems are down now. They have been "online" for quite a while now.

The google maps software is included now. The download for her might have been slow because she might not have been on a fully supported 3G coverage zone, but I am in Cleveland.

The only thing that concerns me is that you have to have it open to do anything. But again, that isn't entirely true. To take pics or listen to music like a media player, you don't have to have it open.

OWNED.

Let's see what that bunny elpmis has to say to all this.

i'd love to stick to CDMA when I upgrade from my Treo 600, but I'm with sprint now and the service SUCKS in my house. It'd be cool if I could use some sort of t-mobile like voip/wifi connection to make calls from home.

that phone looks alright, but i wouldn't buy one.

dbzeag it sounds like your mind is already made up.

Not entirely. Not being a Palm OS is really a detrament for me. I think the Palm OS is the greatest thing to come to a phone. I have lots of things I use daily that are only Palm-enabled. It will be a blow to not be able to use them.

any wireless carrier that partners up with myspace so you can update your profile from your phone deserves to be thrown into the fiery pits of hell