Young fatties UNDEReating

fruit consists of natural sugar. if you eat fruit correctly, in addition to the rest of the balance of the pyramid like you're supposed to, you don't have to worry so much. sure, you have to watch it if you're on a controlled diet (trying to lose weight,) or if you're a diabetic or all the other exceptions.

but it's not just diet and it's not just calories and it's not just carbs and sugar. it's eating right in addition to working your body the way it's meant to be worked. if we all worked like we were made to, our systems/organs would be stronger.

kids these days eat all these chemicals and fake food and don't exercise and have computers at school and PE's not even every day. i'm stating facts, not my opinion. it's not the way nature intended us to use our bodies. well, up to this point, anyway. it'll be interesting to see how we evolve from such a zombielike society.

The food pyramid is the worst thing to happen to Americans since the British. Ever since we created the four food groups (and now the food pyramid) American waistlines have been growing and growing causing massive health problems.

I read a VERY interesting article about it in Mother Earth News and since then have done a little research. A calorie isn't a calorie isn't a calorie. More specificly, our high carb diets are slowly killing us. We were designed to use carbs to pack on fat, they were a "treat". Now we eat them with every meal and continue to get fatter and fatter.

I read a VERY interesting article about it in Mother Earth News and since then have done a little research. A calorie isn't a calorie isn't a calorie. More specificly, our high carb diets are slowly killing us. We were designed to use carbs to pack on fat, they were a "treat". Now we eat them with every meal and continue to get fatter and fatter.
I read the same article you did :fly:

Makes total sense to me.

MOAR MEAT!!!!!!

The food pyramid is the worst thing to happen to Americans since the British. Ever since we created the four food groups (and now the food pyramid) American waistlines have been growing and growing causing massive health problems.

i used the pyramid as an example of balance. there's no way that the general recommended guidelines of the pyramid can effectively apply to everyone. but it's the idea that's good. you need a little bit of everything to work. you need more than some of those things, but you need to think about what you eat, bottom line. if you look down and you've eaten only carbs today, then you shoudl realize you need to eat noncarbs for dinner. i don't try to get the balance at every meal, especially with my picky kids. but if they don't get carbs at lunch, then at snack they can have a granola bar. i always try to throw protein in at every punch. i should read the article you did. i'd be interested in it.

the food pyramid isn't the cause of increasing waistlines. shitty food is. show me where in the food pyramid it says 9 servings of hot pockets a week is appropriate.

the food pyramid isn't the cause of increasing waistlines. shitty food is. show me where in the food pyramid it says 9 servings of hot pockets a week is appropriate.

what IS a hotpocket, anyway? besides processed shit? :fly: where does it go? is it a carb? a protein? a dairy? the pyramid can't handle such created "foods."

poverty my ass. the lunchroom has nothing to do with poverty. all schools are full of processed crap. who can blame them? i'm sure they got bitched at because kids weren't eating the nutritious stuff and so they had to offer something to fill the kids' bellies. now the pendulum's swinging the other way, and parents are starting to bitch about the crap their kids are being offered. and, regardless, it boils down to the child making his or her own decision about what goes in their mouths.
i try to talk every day to my child about what she's going to choose for lunch. and yes, she can have ice cream on ice cream fridays, but only after she's eaten some of her other stuff. she has to pick one vegetable every day and eat some of it. and yes, i know she's telling me the truth, and yes, i know that will change, but i figure i can use what time i have left of her honesty to make her REALIZE that she is in control of what she eats, but it's WHAT she's eating that has to count. not for me, for her. i try to make it make sense for her by talking about what is offered in each food, and what that food is. so-and-so's a carb, and it's important because of so-and-so vitamin, and with that you're eating this, and it's a vegetable, and it offers this, and then the ice cream? it's not got much of anything, so it's wasting an opportunity, but it's sweet, so have a little, but that's it for today. i hope she catches onto the concept of balance and personal choice/responsibility and she can make the choices accordingly.

simmer down lil mama.. I didn't mean that poverty creates shytty lunches.

Sugar from fruits isn't the problem, its the "high fructose corn syrup" as a priamary ingredient in foods that is the problem.

i read some isht the other day that screen time is the new allowance..

as hard as it may be, i may tie the baby's screen time to chores/time spent in a book/etc.

kids get money pretty easily these days (tho a crap economy won't help) so it's the computer/vid game/TV that motivates them the article said.

I do exactly that with my 7 year old.

Sugar from fruits isn't the problem, its the "high fructose corn syrup" as a priamary ingredient in foods that is the problem.
i try to avoid that too. i'm trying to bake all my own sweets. i'm sure cane sugar and brown sugar aren't that much better than any modified corn sugar, but at least i know what i'm getting.

If you eat nothing but fruit you will lose weight. Thus fruit isn't the problem.

People need to get over the "carb fear". It's trendy, but misleading.

People need to realize weight isn't the only thing. If that were the case, BMI would actually be a worthwhile measurement.

The problem with fruit is that it is converted very quickly into energy. When that energy isn't burned, it's converted to fat. When you don't have a high protein diet and you're in a caloric defecit, your body instantly goes to the next thing which is muscle. So yeah you can lose weight, but you'd also look fatter as you lack the muscle to fill out said weight. So fruit in moderation is good. Nothing but fruit makes you a lightweight fatty.

Veggies are carbs
Okay, if you want to nitpick. They are generally low in cabs, more specifically sugar.
If you eat nothing but fruit you will lose weight. Thus fruit isn't the problem.

People need to get over the "carb fear". It's trendy, but misleading.

But the fact is, its the carbs that have been trendy, but its all we've known over our lifetime.

Since I'm nitpicking, they're 100% carbs. However they are slow digesting carbs, so they're the carbs you should be eating anyways.

Then what is the definition of 100% carbs? Because the three veggies I looked up don't seem to be 100%. I'm guessing with slow digesting carbs, you're referring to fibre - which is certainly good to eat.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2316/2

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20dw.html

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2520/2

Then what is the definition of 100% carbs? Because the three veggies I looked up don't seem to be 100%. I'm guessing with slow digesting carbs, you're referring to fibre - which is certainly good to eat.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2316/2

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20dw.html

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2520/2

ok not 100% but carbs are anything that's not protein and not fat.

Look. I'm 31. I could die today, tomorrow, or 40 years from now. Either way, I don't have much time left. Do I really want to spend that time thinking about carbs?

Last edited: