Young fatties UNDEReating

Jonny_B

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥76
http://www.google.com/reader/view/#stream/feed/http://www.star-telegram.com/229/index.xml

A 9-year-old should consume 1,400 to 2,200 calories daily to sustain their growth, said Dr. Roberto Trevino, director of the Social and Health Research Center, a nonprofit organization. But in the study of 1,400 inner-city children, 44 percent were consuming less than 1,400 calories, and 33 percent were obese.

"They were not overeating," Trevino said. "This study shows these kids were not eating enough, and when they did eat it was all the wrong things."

put THAT in your pipe and smoke it.

Personally, I'm trying to eat more fruits and vegetables. Maybe I should start getting my beans black instead of refried when I'm fulfilling a craving for mexican food.

Kids should also get some exercise. Maybe they just aren't burning enough off those calories off

Kids should also get some exercise. Maybe they just aren't burning enough off those calories off
not burning enough off? they're not consuming enough calories is what the article says. and the calories they do consume don't contain the proper nutrients to allow their body to function properly.

not burning enough off? they're not consuming enough calories is what the article says. and the calories they do consume don't contain the proper nutrients to allow their body to function properly.

I would assume that the recommended caloric intake is in line with a normal amount of physical activity. If they have a negligible amount of physical activity, their caloric intake should be lowered accordingly. Obviously, proper physical activity is the better choice.

too many processed carbs.

you should see what they serve for lunch!!! and the mofos get an ice cream sandwich and eat it first.

fried foods.
chips and the like. (pork skins anyone?)
sugary stuff (red kool aid anyone?)

poverty is a muthafuckka. it really is.

Fruits are high in sugar. Sugar = insulin = fat storage

fruit consists of natural sugar. if you eat fruit correctly, in addition to the rest of the balance of the pyramid like you're supposed to, you don't have to worry so much. sure, you have to watch it if you're on a controlled diet (trying to lose weight,) or if you're a diabetic or all the other exceptions.

but it's not just diet and it's not just calories and it's not just carbs and sugar. it's eating right in addition to working your body the way it's meant to be worked. if we all worked like we were made to, our systems/organs would be stronger.

kids these days eat all these chemicals and fake food and don't exercise and have computers at school and PE's not even every day. i'm stating facts, not my opinion. it's not the way nature intended us to use our bodies. well, up to this point, anyway. it'll be interesting to see how we evolve from such a zombielike society.

i read some isht the other day that screen time is the new allowance..

as hard as it may be, i may tie the baby's screen time to chores/time spent in a book/etc.

kids get money pretty easily these days (tho a crap economy won't help) so it's the computer/vid game/TV that motivates them the article said.

too many processed carbs.

you should see what they serve for lunch!!! and the mofos get an ice cream sandwich and eat it first.

fried foods.
chips and the like. (pork skins anyone?)
sugary stuff (red kool aid anyone?)

poverty is a muthafuckka. it really is.

poverty my ass. the lunchroom has nothing to do with poverty. all schools are full of processed crap. who can blame them? i'm sure they got bitched at because kids weren't eating the nutritious stuff and so they had to offer something to fill the kids' bellies. now the pendulum's swinging the other way, and parents are starting to bitch about the crap their kids are being offered. and, regardless, it boils down to the child making his or her own decision about what goes in their mouths.
i try to talk every day to my child about what she's going to choose for lunch. and yes, she can have ice cream on ice cream fridays, but only after she's eaten some of her other stuff. she has to pick one vegetable every day and eat some of it. and yes, i know she's telling me the truth, and yes, i know that will change, but i figure i can use what time i have left of her honesty to make her REALIZE that she is in control of what she eats, but it's WHAT she's eating that has to count. not for me, for her. i try to make it make sense for her by talking about what is offered in each food, and what that food is. so-and-so's a carb, and it's important because of so-and-so vitamin, and with that you're eating this, and it's a vegetable, and it offers this, and then the ice cream? it's not got much of anything, so it's wasting an opportunity, but it's sweet, so have a little, but that's it for today. i hope she catches onto the concept of balance and personal choice/responsibility and she can make the choices accordingly.