Ontopic You guys ever have to deal with getting past the need for perfection?

Is everyone here "on the spectrum"?
Good enough is good enough. You only get one shot at this thing called life. Quit obsessing over things that when you're gone are just going to end up in the trash, or sold off, or even if someone does have an infatuation about them they won't come at it the same way you do.

There are rare exceptions. They are called rare exceptions because they are both rare and exceptions.

Get the boat motor going good enough and spend the time it would've taken to make it perfect taking a kid fishing instead, in a boat that floats, with a motor that runs good enough

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I'm OCD about certain things. Kitchen cleanliness, toilets, white fucking dog hair on the dark wood floor (anxiety building...). I try to be pragmatic about other things, but I'm definitely a perfectionist about work. My boss gets annoyed because sometimes you just have to knock shit out quickly and keep things moving, but I'm always like "we should audit this again before passing it on because what if we miss 100 accounts?" (I do SQL development and analytics)

My wife won't let me do complex home improvement work because it would take me forever. I would put a backsplash in the kitchen, for example, then tear it all out because one tile was 1 degree askew. Now she just tells me that she hired someone to do something on some date.

I have to say, no matter how fucked up the rest of the house might be, the old lady always has an impeccably clean toilet for you to sit on, despite the chickens.
I think she single-handedly keeps clorox in business.

Is everyone here "on the spectrum"?
Good enough is good enough. You only get one shot at this thing called life. Quit obsessing over things that when you're gone are just going to end up in the trash, or sold off, or even if someone does have an infatuation about them they won't come at it the same way you do.

There are rare exceptions. They are called rare exceptions because they are both rare and exceptions.

Get the boat motor going good enough and spend the time it would've taken to make it perfect taking a kid fishing instead, in a boat that floats, with a motor that runs good enough.
Uh, hips - how big is this lake? And were you intending on coming back alone?:p Yeah, there is a cost-benefit analysis.
Flipside: I can't say anything bad about thoroughness like Jeh working his cars from the ground up. His cars ARE better and statistically less likely to leave him stranded and curb-stomped by strangers who then rape his dog. I do something analgous in my work - I get it. It seems somewhat akin to how he works in computerland all day, but isn't a huge stats and latest model fanboy much farther than the underlying and interconnected stuff affects HIS efforts. At thoroughness.. I think Dory has the real answer.

Nope. I become increasingly less bothered about such things as time goes on. There's far more to life.

PS try therapy :fly:
Truly the therapy WOULD be quicker if it "takes hold". They would also have to make time for it and prioritize it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's simple. really. There is no such thing as perfection and you should never expect it. Life is extremely uncomplicated when you accept there are things well beyond your control and no matter of stressing over it will fix a thing.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
It's simple. really. There is no such thing as perfection and you should never expect it. Life is extremely uncomplicated when you accept there are things well beyond your control and no matter of stressing over it will fix a thing.
Might have mentioned it but yeah, artist I worked for told me his art got better and his prices went up when he started needing glasses - but didn't always wear them.