You better watch yourselves.

i hope this gets passed. it's too late for my personal reasons, but i hope it gets passed to prevent future tragedies.

After that let's outlaw making fun of kids in person. After that, let's outlaw anything derogatory said to anyone. After that, let's outlaw anything negaitve at all. After that.......

After that let's outlaw making fun of kids in person. After that, let's outlaw anything derogatory said to anyone. After that, let's outlaw anything negaitve at all. After that.......

my baby cousin killed himself because he was bullied in school, and bullied online. absolutely nothing was done to the kids who did it.

Let's run to mommy and daddy [government] and tattle on the cyber bullies.

This should be prevented starting in the homes. This is a parent issue, not a government one. Let's take responsibility for our children, peeps!

imo

my baby cousin killed himself because he was bullied in school, and bullied online. absolutely nothing was done to the kids who did it.
A good friend of mine whose daughter is in HS just lost a good friend as well to bullying at school. At least that is what the note said. She was just tired of being picked on all the time. The mom is so distraught.

I see good and bad to this idea. I don't want kids coddled, but people should get in trouble for the same shit that would be done in person in schools and the like.

According to the bill either a fine or two years in jail... or both.

which is bullshit.

and does the law apply to just kids?

talk about completely raping our first amendment rights... my condolences f33nx, but i bet your cousin had other issues besides just being bullied at school. even if he was, the kids should've been punished at school, cyber bullying can be ignored very easily.

as for the Megan Meier case, the adults involved in that should've been charged for fraud or something.

Last edited:

Pretty much. And it's difficult to prosecute anyway. I feel bad for people this happens to. I too knew someone who committed suicide because of bullying. I spent a lot of high school protecting my sister from bullying. I simply don't see how there is anything we can do about it. There will always be mean people. I just choose to feel sorry for people who feel the need to put other people down to make themselves feel better.

as for the Megan Meier case, the adults involved in that should've been charged for fraud or something.

From the third grade Megan had been under the care of a psychiatrist. She had been prescribed Citalopram, Methylphenidate and Ziprasidone.[13] She had been diagnosed with attention deficit disorder and depression and considered herself overweight.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megan_Meier[/ame]

Pretty much. And it's difficult to prosecute anyway. I feel bad for people this happens to. I too knew someone who committed suicide because of bullying. I spent a lot of high school protecting my sister from bullying. I simply don't see how there is anything we can do about it. There will always be mean people. I just choose to feel sorry for people who feel the need to put other people down to make themselves feel better.

its really part of growing up. it seems to be getting alot more creative and harsher nowadays, but making laws to coddle kids isn't the answer.

yea but there was a parent and another adult that conspired to "cyberbully" a 13 year old girl by faking an online persona.

that's just fucked up, even if it's a well adjusted 13 year old girl.

Except according to the news, Megan was just as guilty of "cyber bullying"

Regardless of who created the account (adult or not) it doesn't matter. Based off of the argument that night, for all we know the mother herself could have been at fault after all she was yelling at her for her own daughter's choice of language in the responses and berated her for not logging off when she was told to.

while i agree nobody can pinpoint the reason why she did it, as she had many problems (and like i said before, i doubt bullying alone will make someone commit suicide, there's gotta be many other issues too.)

lets pretend for a second that she didnt commit suicide and it all turned out to be the harsh joke that it was meant to be. it's STILL fucked up that two adults (one a parent), were bullying a 13 year old girl. regardless of if it was online or not.

again, two adults were bullying a 13 year old. FUCKED. UP.

Let's run to mommy and daddy [government] and tattle on the cyber bullies.

This should be prevented starting in the homes. This is a parent issue, not a government one. Let's take responsibility for our children, peeps!

imo

The parents were doing it homey. I dont like the language of the bill (I think it should be made part of harassment law) but if the parents cant even stay out of it then the law needs to interfere. There must be some legal recourse.

Except according to the news, Megan was just as guilty of "cyber bullying"

Regardless of who created the account (adult or not) it doesn't matter. Based off of the argument that night, for all we know the mother herself could have been at fault after all she was yelling at her for her own daughter's choice of language in the responses and berated her for not logging off when she was told to.
It said she said a couple things. That's pretty normal.

Multiple adults (The mother, and her employee), in combination with their kids stalking someone and lying to play mind games is an entirely different issue. It could have benefit from some parental oversight aye. That is beside the point though, adults know BETTER. That is the basis for AoC laws and statutory rape. If an adult harassed a minor in real life, no one would be amused, shouldnt make a difference if it was over the internet or on the phone.

It's a forgone point that an ADULT was involved in a conspiracy to commit criminal harassment against a minor. End of story. Thank you and good night.

Restricting free speech isnt the way to do it, but you shouldnt get away with something that is already illegal because you used a computer.

It said she said a couple things. That's pretty normal.

Except the exact dialouge said was up to whatever the mom wanted to say she said. For all we know she could have been verbally abusive to her own daughter.

"You stupid fucking bitch, I told you to log off Myspace. Now you want me to have to take care of your problems because you're too dumb to do it yourself"

What was said in the article could have easily gone like that.

My point is that there's no way to prove any of this and it's taken at the "victim's" word.

I understand an adult was involved and yes that's wrong, but that doesn't justify making it a criminal offense.

Restricting free speech isnt the way to do it, but you shouldnt get away with something that is already illegal because you used a computer.

It isn't illegal for an adult to talk to a kid on the Internet. It's also not illegal to lie about your age on the Internet. It's also not illegal to speak your mind on the Internet. And the other question, the adult may have created the account, but it doesn't specify that the daughter or the mother was the one that made those last disparaging remarks. Not that hard for a kid to sign on when mommy's not looking.

Last edited:
It isn't illegal for an adult to talk to a kid on the Internet. It's also not illegal to lie about your age on the Internet. It's also not illegal to speak your mind on the Internet. And the other question, the adult may have created the account, but it doesn't specify that the daughter or the mother was the one that made those last disparaging remarks. Not that hard for a kid to sign on when mommy's not looking.

You posted the link to the wikipedia article, if you had actually read it it says EXACTLY who made the last remarks, who made the account, who initiated it etc. Read/post etc.

The point isnt that an adult is interacting with a child, it's the manner in which it's being carried out. By your standard, sexual harassment is ok, though I dont agree with the term generally, it is valid. You know it's just people talking. Racial harassment as well.

It shouldnt be a surprise that vanilla criminal harassment (including stalking) is a crime (not a civil wrong) in all 50 states. The DoJ publishes statistics: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/svus.pdf

Medium shouldnt make a difference. The standards are stringent. This law is bad, the concept isnt. No sane person goes to those lengths for minor social incidents.