Marklar
₥21,087
22nd of July, 2006

D.A. Richard A. Brown
District Attorney
Queens County
125-01 Queens Boulevard
Kew Gardens, New York 11415-1568

In response to your press release of Thursday 20th of July 2006 titled “D.A. Brown: Two Far Rockway Brothers and Friend Charged with Illegal Possession of ‘Cop Killer’ Gun and Cocaine”
The press release states:

The District Attorney said that the Fabrique Nationale (FN) 5.7 handgun is often referred to as a “cop killer” because it has a high-capacity 20-round magazine, the ability to shoot 50 to 100 yards with great accuracy and its 5.7 x 28 bullet can perforate 48 layers of Kevlar. Of the 616 police officers killed in the line of duty nationwide between 1994 and 2003, 425 were killed with this handgun.

Without debating the questionable terminology and tone of the quoted material; the simple technical statement that the 5.7x28mm cartridge ‘can’ penetrate 48 layers of Kevlar, while true, is very misleading. Only one type of this ammunition ‘can’ penetrate to that degree, the SS190 cartridge. SS190 is classified by the BATFE as ‘armor piercing’. Consequently it can only be sold to law enforcement and military agencies. The ammunition is only released and shipped from U.S. Customs controlled bonded warehouses upon BATFE and U.S. Customs approval.

The more widely available types of 5.7x28mm (SS195LF, SS916, SS197) fare only as well as normal sporting ammunition against body armor.

The last sentence quoted cannot be as easily overlooked as a technical oversight though.

Of the 616 police officers killed in the line of duty nationwide between 1994 and 2003, 425 were killed with this handgun.

According to the FBI while 616 officers were feloniously killed in the line of duty between 1994 and 2003, 425 of them were killed with a handgun of any type. Your statement that 425 have been killed by the Five-seveN model handgun in that time period not only improbable but contradictory to published evidence that 129 of those 425 officers were killed by 9mm handguns. Aside from the statistics the Five-seveN did not even exist until 1998, and was not available widely in the U.S. until 2001, which makes the claims in the press release even less credible.

While we fully support the efforts of the D.A. to prosecute criminals but spreading this or any type of misinformation through human error or design is contrary to the established principles of the office. The press release has already been printed in any number of NY dailies such as the Times Ledger, Newsday, Staten Island Advance and picked up by the AP. We recognize that a complete retraction is impossible but respectfully request the office to check facts in further public announcements.

Sincerely,
A New Yorker

----
1 http://www.queensda.org/Press Releases/2006 Press Releases/07-July/07-20-2006.pdf

2 Two other rounds are classified as armor piercing but while being even more rare are specialty. The SS191 tracer and SS193 subsonic cartridges. See http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/tw_57x28mm.htm

3 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(17)(b)

4 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(8)

5 http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/tw_57x28mm.htm

6 Federal Bureau of Investigation, Law Enforcement Officer’s Killed and Assaulted 2003 23, table 24 (2004), http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/killed/leoka03.pdf

7 Your statement can also be read to say they were killed by the specific gun you recovered.

8 Id. 28, table 30

Feel free to make suggestions. I wrote this in like 10 minutes, then my brain stopped working. Closing needs more condemnation, other parts need clarification and grammar check. Probably need more sources too. You can even put your name on it if you contribute, I sure as hell aint.

Last edited:
Does this letter have any purpose other than to say "Hey D.A. I'm smart and you're stupid? Ha ha, you made a mistake!"

Are you seeking to get the D.A.'s office to retract their statement or publish something stating their "error?" If this is what you seek you are not asking for it in this text.

Also, are you sending this anonymously, or is it just that way since it's posted here? If it's not signed then they will probably assume that you want to stay hidden which means you won't go around and publicly bring up this issue. Given that, the D.A. will probably not be too worried about it.

First of all you counter that 396 officers were killed with that handgun between 1995 and 2004, when the 425 they initially claimed were in the date range of 1994-2004. Perhaps in 1994 the 29 additional officers were killed?

Going to their office and copies going to the dailies in NYC who printed the press release. General letter of condemnation. Since DAs in NY are publicly elected there will be signatures attatched from voters in Queen's County.

Good points though, the purpose was a little unclear at first.

Sarcasmo said:
First of all you counter that 396 officers were killed with that handgun between 1995 and 2004, when the 425 they initially claimed were in the date range of 1994-2004. Perhaps in 1994 the 29 additional officers were killed?
Fixt. Had the wrong book open.

They are saying that 425 were kill by this specific handgun, the FBI report is for handguns of any type.

FlyNavy said:
BATFE

otherwise, good job doing the right thing.
Fixt, with a couple large revisions. Still need something about how a silent retraction would be just as bad as lying in the first place...

Your statement that 425 have been killed specifically by the Five-seveN handgun in that time period is not only improbable but the Five-seveN did not even exist until 1998, and was not available widely in the U.S. until 2001.

April23 said:
So how is the road going?
Fab, right now, as I speak it is clearing a path for itself through the underbrush aided by 3 cords of dry spruce soaked in deisel.

FlamingGlory said:
Fab, right now, as I speak it is clearing a path for itself through the underbrush aided by 3 cords of dry spruce soaked in deisel.

I was being more facetious and condesending than anything.

April23 said:
I was being more facetious and condesending than anything.
condescending*

Somehow I don't think you know what those words mean.

Happy birfday btw <3

FlyNavy said:
that's when water sticks to the outside of a cold glass
Well she fucked up that too then.

condensation*

Updated, mailed probably night. Get you final crits in.

The second paragraph is a quote, it should either be in quotes or possibly have the entire section indented. That may be what you did and the forum didn't display it properly, I dunno.

FlamingGlory said:
condescending*

Somehow I don't think you know what those words mean.

Happy birfday btw <3

I knew I was spelling it wrong, but I didn't care to impress you with my mad google spell check skills.