You and your privacy.

Atan Nolme

Flaccid Member
Oct 14, 2004
Karningul,Eriador, Endor
Marklar
₥432
I... uh... my administration...uh... will have nothing to do with...uh... lobbyists....

Another inauguration took place in Washington this week -- Google Inc. officially became a political power player.

In October, Google was only hours from being sued by the Justice Department as a Web-search monopolist. Today, less than three years after it made its first Washington hire, the Internet giant is poised to capitalize on its backing of President Obama and pursue its agenda in the nation's capital.

Google's executives and employees overwhelmingly supported Obama's candidacy, contributing more money than all but three companies or universities. And only DreamWorks employees gave more toward inauguration festivities.

Google Chief Executive Eric Schmidt campaigned for Obama and was one of four Googlers on his transition team. He is now as likely as any corporate chieftain to get his calls to the White House returned.

At the top of the company's policy priorities are two that consumer advocates largely champion. First, it wants to expand high-speed Internet access so people can use its Web services more often. It also is pushing for so-called network neutrality: prohibitions on telecommunications companies charging websites for faster delivery of their content.

"Google is not just a benign corporate entity. It has a variety of special interests," said Jeff Chester, the executive director of the Center for Digital Democracy, who has sparred with Google over data-privacy issues. "They're in a great position to push their agenda through with the support of the president and the Democrats in Congress."

Everyone's home is found on Google Earth. An incredible and possibly dangerous invasion of privacy. I've always thought Google was a bigger threat to my privacy than Bush-Cheney ever was.

And, I was correct.

Right Wing Rag known as the LATimes :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If it wasnt for google, these dorks would never have gotten caught

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.4...p=12,310.45443546675455,,1,10.375837805207798

Google Error

We're sorry...
... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus

And if you really want to have a quick read about "you and your privacy" or lack of therefore due to government, not google then read Privacy: A Manifesto by Wolfgang Sofsky

There are several reasons why Wolfgang Sofsky is peculiarly well qualified to speak about the huge loss of privacy that we in the putatively liberal democracies of the West have already allowed to happen. One is that he is a sociologist, a student of society; another is that he lives in a country - Germany - that in living memory has experienced two forms of totalitarianism; and a third is that he cares about civil liberties in a way that most of his contemporaries have either never done, or have forgotten.

So he speaks out, with eloquence and anxiety, about the betrayal of liberties for which generations fought and died, from the dawn of the Reformation to the end of the Cold War. It is a betrayal all the worse for being unintelligent, clumsy and half-blind rather than sinister, though once the new instruments of repression are to hand in this over-technologised world of ours, the sinister will have a field day.

In this absorbing and upsetting little book, half pungent polemic and half meditation, Sofsky describes how, by means of CCTV cameras and the tracing of mobile phone calls, bus pass use, credit card purchases, e-mail, indeed in almost all ordinary interactions whether in shops or with bureaucracies, every individual is transparently and luminously traceable, leaving a glowing smear behind him as wide as a motorway, and as easy for anyone to follow if they wish.

Our use of technologies, and the use of technologies by governments and security services, have together made us all naked and conspicuous targets of the State's watchfulness. Thus, privacy has already gone: but that, Sofsky is quite right in implying, is no reason not to fight to get it back.

Until lately the citizen of a Western democracy was a private individual. In the name of a spurious security, and an unconsciously repressive ambition to achieve bureaucratic efficiency, Western democracies have thrown away the idea of “the private citizen”. Sofsky describes the new version of citizenhood, in which we live and have our being under the unblinking gaze of the State, showing how far-reaching is the invasiveness of a society whose bureaucracy and police puts everyone under suspicion all the time, by subjecting them to continuous tracking.

It is a picture by now almost too familiarly Orwellian, because from caricature to reality we have the example of the Gestapo, the KGB, the Party snoop, the informer, the spy, the jackbooted policemen stopping people to inspect their papers or administering the midnight knock on the door.

It is an almost ridiculous scandal that our own Westminster politicians, even as these words are being written, are introducing legislation requiring mobile phone and e-mail service companies to provide “the authorities” with a record of every call or message made by a British citizen. How do they fail to see any connection with the Orwellian nightmare, or understand the implications of making it come true?

It is a mistake, though, to think of privacy as solely a matter of externals in which one's purchase of toilet paper and one's visits to the doctor are collated on a database with one's bank account details and footage of walking about town. Privacy is about the person within, too, the space in which new ideas, anxieties, intimacies and hopes need protection from scrutiny for the wholeness of their owner's psychology.

Sofsky discusses how personal space can be violated and polluted by the invasions of others, as in being spat upon or exposed to the odour, sweat, flatulence and bad breath of others. Now think of those sullyings going to one kind of limit: being arrested, one's body taken over by policemen, handcuffed or bound, separated from everything normal in a bare cell into which a guard can look at will, barraged with impertinent questions. That is the end of the line at the end of privacy.

Bad people deserve no less, of course; but to place every citizen on a continuum with this, not merely with the potential for loss of privacy but the daily and hourly actuality of surveillance already happening, is to say that the State has turned sick.

There is a continuum too from the watchfulness of the ubiquitous security apparatus behind those swivelling CCTV cameras to the ultimate control - namely, of what people think and believe. Torquemada's Inquisition was one of many efforts made in the long history of tyranny to police people's minds. The confessional, and inculcation of the fear that one is being watched by the infinite and divine CCTV camera in the sky even when one is alone in the dark, was successful with the credulous and timid in medieval times, and remains so now among the superstitious.

But the State has given up on the idea of a patrolling deity, and has instead forested the streets with cameras, and the pockets of citizens with biometric data identity cards - for the same reason, and in hope of the same effect. For if people are afraid of that unblinking eye of surveillance, they will watch and then control their own thoughts - just what a certain type of State wants, and thus gets.

Sofsky ends with a discussion of this essential question of freedom of thought, for thought is the final privacy, and once it too has been brought under the State's scrutiny, the corpse of privacy has decayed beyond recognition.

This is an important and very timely book. Its message, implied throughout, is that as one of the great values of civilisation and one of the essentials of personal and psychological integrity, privacy is worth fighting to regain. If we were all to endorse this point, we would be halfway to achieving it.

I read the article. I don't see exactly where it says Obama is appointing a Google salaried employee. This article is speculation at this point. I'm glad we have a president that actually knows what the Internet is and cares about technology. Since Obama's stated policy is pro-net neutrality and more libertarian towards technology than Bush, I would applaud that, not be angry. I think there's a huge difference between talking to business and getting feedback and letting it run your administration. We'll see which Obama ends up as, but I'd be surprised if he is half as bad as Bush about that.
Everyone's home is found on Google Earth. An incredible and possibly dangerous invasion of privacy. I've always thought Google was a bigger threat to my privacy than Bush-Cheney ever was.

And, I was correct.

Right Wing Rag known as the LATimes :rolleyes:
Um no, not yet. Streetview is a bit of a new concept, but government has had sat pics of your house for years. Hell, they can watch you real time if they wish. You're mad now that a corporation publishes it for everyone to see so you know what view government has of you? I honestly don't see the difference here between what government has been doing for years or what any person driving by would see. What if that person has a camera and posts the pics to Flickr? If they were on community property (like the street or sidewalk), there's nothing you can do about it. Google isn't the only company doing it either. Microsoft is working on this as are some other companies.

So basically we have a choice. On one side we can let Google show where my house is and on the other side we can let people listen and record my phone and internet conversations. As things look either way we live in a world were there is no privacy any more. At least we aren't like most European countries with a camera every 10 feet.

So basically we have a choice. On one side we can let Google show where my house is and on the other side we can let people listen and record my phone and internet conversations. As things look either way we live in a world were there is no privacy any more. At least we aren't like most European countries with a camera every 10 feet.

Man you have no idea how many cameras are in this country. We have 5-7 on a small bus, never mind on the streets. :lol:

I think there's a difference here. If I send IMs in the clear over public internet, yes, I deserve whatever I get from that. It would be like having a conversation on the street and expecting no one to listen. There are also (supposedly) laws against warrantless wiretapping, so that covers someone listening to my phone conversations.

I don't think the rules of public domain have changed really. I think technology is just making them more obvious to people now.

Great Britain has a staggering number of cameras. I don't know when exactly that small bunch of islands became the land of Big Brother, but I can't believe people put up with it.

I think there's a difference here. If I send IMs in the clear over public internet, yes, I deserve whatever I get from that. It would be like having a conversation on the street and expecting no one to listen. There are also (supposedly) laws against warrantless wiretapping, so that covers someone listening to my phone conversations.

I don't think the rules of public domain have changed really. I think technology is just making them more obvious to people now.

I'm not against either of them I was just pointing out that when the Republicans were in office the Democrats where complaining about privacy issue and now it's reversed.

Great Britain has a staggering number of cameras. I don't know when exactly that small bunch of islands became the land of Big Brother, but I can't believe people put up with it.

Two words: Function creep. It's what the current Labour government has been doing from day one.

We have something like 1/3 of the worlds CCTV cameras, and looking around it's not hard to believe.

I'm not against either of them I was just pointing out that when the Republicans were in office the Democrats where complaining about privacy issue and now it's reversed.

to me that's something that crosses party lines for sure...the whole lot of them should stop being so intrusive to the privacy of the citizenry

I watched a t.v. show once where some British guys made a gigantic alien suit and walked down the street just to see how long it would take the police to show up. I believe they showed up within a couple minutes.

Oh yeah and we now have cameras that talk to you in the street. People sit watching you and if you do something the speak from the camera to you. They've also developed cameras that are intelligent enough to spot 'suspicious behaviour' and notify the police all of their own i.e. if someone is stading by an ATM for a prolonged period of time etc.

Maybe its just me, but I see a world of difference between the warrantless wiretapping, collusion with the telco's, and blanket surveillance of the last administration and what Google is doing with Google Maps.