Ontopic Yet another reason the iPad is not on my list

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,350
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/apple-free-ipad-with-every-replacement-battery/

So, there it is. Apple's drive to eliminate replaceable batteries now results in your data being second rate. When you use the Battery Replacement service from Apple, instead of getting your own iPad back, you are getting a refurb, meaning any data, apps, anything you have done or customized on your iPad won't be there when you get one back.

Plus, I don't know about y'all, but I loathe refurbs. They never work right.

The new Microsoft tablet, the Couriet, however, is lookin mighty fine. http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet

loving apple products is like having a beautiful gf that treats you like shit :lol:
if you stay, you deserve it!

Tablets are lame, end of story.

This. Tablets have been on the market in one fashion or another for over 10 years and none of the designs (outside of hospital use) have worked. There are just too few use-cases for such a device, certainly has high priced as $499. I don't want to throw my text book replacement device like an iPad into a bookbag. It is too big for purse/murse use. It is too fragile for couch surfing. It is too bulky for shitter surfing.

Outside of the fanboys, I just don't see any broad use for this.

I've been trying to figure out what Apple thinks this device is and just can't wrap my head around it. It's either an anemic netbook or a feature rich e-reader, and it's price makes it a bad deal for either category.

I've been trying to figure out what Apple thinks this device is and just can't wrap my head around it. It's either an anemic netbook or a feature rich e-reader, and it's price makes it a bad deal for either category.

from what I've read it isn't really going to be great as an e-reader either because of the screen. it's going to have all the visual appeal of trying to read a book on a laptop

from what I've read it isn't really going to be great as an e-reader either because of the screen. it's going to have all the visual appeal of trying to read a book on a laptop

Agreed. Lack of e-ink kills that use-case.

Honestly, all this touch screen nonsense is to take people's attention off the fact that even 20 years later, the stupid bastards still can't get voice rec to work right.

Right... and I thought the disadvantage of a regular LCD over e-ink is that the LCD need to be powered all the time as opposed to only when refreshing-- hence, battery life issues.

edit: I could be misinformed.

Right... and I thought the disadvantage of a regular LCD over e-ink is that the LCD need to be powered all the time as opposed to only when refreshing-- hence, battery life issues.

edit: I could be misinformed.

But its more than that. e-ink actually LOOKS like paper, not like you're reading it on a computer screen (like LCD)