Tampa Yeah, I'm never going "back to school"

People are going to start realizing trade schools are a better choice for more people. We have enough useless business majors. We need some mechanics, plumbers, etc.

And how long will that take and cost? You're like 20 years behind the curve, doesn't that hinder your ability to pay of the loans for school?

Not really. As long as I pay up front the costs per semester, and get a 3.0 or better, work will compensate the costs.

Once I get the cert and a position as a R.O.P., my salary triples. Still debating, as it's a long ass, not very easy, road ahead.

Not really. As long as I pay up front the costs per semester, and get a 3.0 or better, work will compensate the costs.

Once I get the cert and a position as a R.O.P., my salary triples. Still debating, as it's a long ass, not very easy, road ahead.
Go for it while you aren't married and without kids... better now than later. :)

Ahhh, thats awesome then!

BTW, see what interest rate you can get for student loans anyway. If its below ~4%, it makes the most sense to actually keep the loans and use the money.

Last edited:
You aren't 75. You have plenty of time for a family. Especially with triple the dough. All women love that, especially ones in their 20s.

My mother graduated from college with a bachelors the year after my sister did. She decided she wanted a change and she went for it. Whatever happens, you are going to be 48 or 54 or 85 anyway. Why not just do what you want? I know finances might make it difficult but there's grants and scholarships galore out there. I definitely don't think college should be a requirement in life, just a want to learn. I loved college. I learned a lot of useless bs there that was truly interesting. Someday I'd love to go to trade school too. Maybe electrician training... I dunno. I just like to learn.

i have an engineering degree so it was worthwhile for me, but sooooooo many people get dumb degrees or better yet, drop out after a year or two with massive debt racked up. :rolleyes:

admission tests should be tougher and most degree's should be dropped or be extremely limited because middle management positions are disappearing as companies figure out they aren't needed so having a degree just to have a degree won't get you anything anymore.

i've said for along time the focus should be on certifications and on the job training. if you find a person with the right aptitude, most positions in this world can be filled with 6 months of training / shadowing someone (and most with faaaaaaar less than that).

probably only 10% of the jobs in this country really require a degree or like 10+ years of experience.

i have an engineering degree so it was worthwhile for me, but sooooooo many people get dumb degrees or better yet, drop out after a year or two with massive debt racked up. :rolleyes:

admission tests should be tougher and most degree's should be dropped or be extremely limited because middle management positions are disappearing as companies figure out they aren't needed so having a degree just to have a degree won't get you anything anymore.

i've said for along time the focus should be on certifications and on the job training. if you find a person with the right aptitude, most positions in this world can be filled with 6 months of training / shadowing someone (and most with faaaaaaar less than that).

probably only 10% of the jobs in this country really require a degree or like 10+ years of experience.

Yeeeup.

there are inefficient and ineffective aspects but it's not a scam as a whole

the problem is that there are multitudes fucking english and liberal arts majors graduating while math, science and engineering are rapidly falling

some of the points you mentioned are very real, though. skilled labor is also disappearing yet people look down on that as if somehow a wymen's history major is a greater contribution to society than a plumber
Because typical private university is out TO MAKE MONEY (even non profit ones), and state schools tuition in some states goes into general fund. I worked at a premier private east coast university for years, most of the undergraduate body is viewed as fresh meat with fresh cash. Essentially unless you are in hard science (psychology, business etc. would be soft) you really aren't doing anything that couldn't be learned better somewhere else.

Great if you work for the uni though, pay was 75-100% more than surrounding area for any job and you could take classes for free.

Because typical private university is out TO MAKE MONEY (even non profit ones), and state schools tuition in some states goes into general fund. I worked at a premier private east coast university for years, most of the undergraduate body is viewed as fresh meat with fresh cash. Essentially unless you are in hard science (psychology, business etc. would be soft) you really aren't doing anything that couldn't be learned better somewhere else.

Great if you work for the uni though, pay was 75-100% more than surrounding area for any job and you could take classes for free.

This is horseshit. May be you guys have a point that there isn't enough trade school and not enough directed learning in higher education, but I don't think I want to hire a psychologist (your example) with no degree. The degree is the certainty that they have learned something. What you consider soft studies have a place in academia, whether you agree with it or not.

Were the freshmen at that campus considered fresh meat and fresh cash because of their declared majors? Hmm.