fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥83,290
Steam
mattressfish
Email from Larry Cockell said:
For several years, as part of our company’s regular processes to protect our computerized data, Time Warner has used a leading data storage firm to ship and store our computer back-up tapes offsite. I am writing to let you know that this outside firm recently lost a container of these back-up tapes during transport to one of its storage facilities.

The missing tapes contained company data including names and U.S. Social Security numbers of: current and former U.S.-based employees of Time Warner and its current and former affiliates (and U.S. citizens working for the company abroad); some of their dependents and beneficiaries; and certain other individuals who have provided services to the company.

Yay, my work lost all my personal info!

b_sinning said:
Poor way to handle backups if they can be lost like that. Soneone's getting fired somewhere over it.

Several people, most likely.

I like how California demands that companies reveal this kind of news immediately. Some of these people could have a month old loan in their name by now :rolleyes:
(Yes, I realize that's a gross exaggeration, but peoples' info like this should be protected.)

Fat Burger said:
Several people, most likely.

I like how California demands that companies reveal this kind of news immediately. Some of these people could have a month old loan in their name by now :rolleyes:
(Yes, I realize that's a gross exaggeration, but peoples' info like this should be protected.)
I know what you're saying and I agree.

But to allay any fears, depending on how large of a cache of tapes it was, it would probably take someone longer than a month to extract any worthwhile data :fly:

ChikkenNoodul said:
But to allay any fears, depending on how large of a cache of tapes it was, it would probably take someone longer than a month to extract any worthwhile data :fly:

Oh I defnitely agree. And likely they're all well encrypted or otherwise protected, probably by 3 or more methods, so the chances of someone getting anything from there (even unuseable data) are pretty small.

Fat Burger said:
Oh I defnitely agree. And likely they're all well encrypted or otherwise protected, probably by 3 or more methods, so the chances of someone getting anything from there (even unuseable data) are pretty small.
From what I know about large companies, it may not be encrypted :fly: but that's changing rapidly it seems

Usually only stuff where HIPPA applies is already done currently

ChikkenNoodul said:
From what I know about large companies, it may not be encrypted :fly: but that's changing rapidly it seems

Usually only stuff where HIPPA applies is already done currently
I'm guessing it was not. If it was, the email would have mentioned it, as that would help calm people's fears. :rolleyes:

I read this on CNN last week as well. Somewhere else in the article it mentioned that the data was a tape drive media, and would be hard to access without a high-powered computer and drive system. :rolleyes: , or some guy with a 2 year old Dell laptop and a USB DLT drive, one of the two I guess.

KNYTE said:
I read this on CNN last week as well. Somewhere else in the article it mentioned that the data was a tape drive media, and would be hard to access without a high-powered computer and drive system. :rolleyes: , or some guy with a 2 year old Dell laptop and a USB DLT drive, one of the two I guess.
I seriously hope you didn't read about my company, as that would be disgusting if CNN knew before its employees did.

fly said:
I seriously hope you didn't read about my company, as that would be disgusting if CNN knew before its employees did.
Um, it was just released to the press today. I think he's confused.

KNYTE said:
or some guy with a 2 year old Dell laptop and a USB DLT drive, one of the two I guess.
Yes, provided it was DLT and not LTO, and provided that the tape data is stored in a format that's easily readable by a cheap backup program. And they'd need a couple hundred gigs of storage for each tape, and probably then they'd have to spend hours searching each bit of the restored data for something useful, etc. etc. :fly:

My company spent quite a bit of money to have a professional recovery company to convert several terabytes of data backed up by Legato on Magstar tapes, to something we could use - most of the data was left unreadable.