Yay I'm being audited at work

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
So the University System of Georgia has a system in place to enable offices to procure supplies and materials quickly and easily called the Purchase Card (P-Card for short). Basically this amounts to a State Credit Card in the name of one person in each office that can be used to make tax free purchases, pretty much at whatever store you want to...but there are rules governing what you should and should not buy.

You can buy supplies and day to day materials...such as paper, pens, staples, folders, etc. In certain circumstances you can buy other items like books, blank RW media, flash drives, etc. You can't buy things like plane tickets, rental cars, clothes, computers, rounds of golf, trips to the strip club (it seriously says these things in the manual).

All of my purchases are totally kosher, I follow the rules to the "T". If it ever strays I get prior approval for the purchase by our P-Card manager in the office of fiscal affairs so that it is documented and won't fall back on my ass.

So I'm not worried, but apparently a lot of people should be. Check out what the CFO was doing at a different university here in savannah. http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/stories/2007/12/12/pcards_1213.html

I know many people who are going to have a tough time with this audit.

YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK HERE PEOPLE! GA Tax dollars being misused, and federal tax dollars getting wasted on audits.

audits intimidate me...not because we knowingly do anything wrong, it's because we might UNknowingly be doing something wrong...and then what all do you keep, like receipts and all that...blah. it's just stressful to think about.

It blows my mind that people imagine they can do shit like that and not get caught. I'm sure he started off small and worked his way up to the plane tickets and cell-phone bills, so maybe he didn't notice when he crossed the line. At some point however it has to become clear that the line is definitely pretty far behind you, somewhere.

Last edited:
It blows my mind that people imagine they can do shit like that and not get caught. I'm sure he started off small and worked his way up to the plane tickets and cell-phone bills, so maybe he didn't notice when he crossed the line. At some point however it has to become clear that the line is definitely pretty far behind you, somewhere.

Well the point is not just the misuse, it is that he shouldn't have had a card to begin with.

It is a real conflict of interest when the CFO has and uses a purchase card and he oversees anybody internally who might bring to light the misuse of the card. What are you going to do, blow the whistle on your boss? I suppose you could do it but you are only asking to have more headaches brought down on yourself if you do. Nobody getting paid 35,000 per year is going to go through all that and risk their job.

By definition (and law), anyone at the level of director or above should not have a P-Card in their name. Plain and simple. So how he got a card to begin with is in question.

Well the point is not just the misuse, it is that he shouldn't have had a card to begin with.

It is a real conflict of interest when the CFO has and uses a purchase card and he oversees anybody internally who might bring to light the misuse of the card. What are you going to do, blow the whistle on your boss? I suppose you could do it but you are only asking to have more headaches brought down on yourself if you do. Nobody getting paid 35,000 per year is going to go through all that and risk their job.

By definition (and law), anyone at the level of director or above should not have a P-Card in their name. Plain and simple. So how he got a card to begin with is in question.

why people think that giving hundreds of people company credit cards is a smart idea is beyond me. do people really think that there's not going to be abuse? do people really think that audits aren't real?

That adds a whole other angle i hadn't seen before. I guess he figured since he didn't have to report to anyone he'd never get caught. I still think he's a dumbass though.