Yah for ford cuts.

Onnotangu

Flaccid Member
Oct 13, 2004
Detroit, MI USA
Marklar
₥0
while most of the cuts don't affect me directly, the IT department as a whole will be afected with a lack of users to support means layoff and restructuring for some of the IT teams as a whole.

the following locations are affected:
Ford is taking the following new actions to align its capacity with expected demand and to reduce fixed costs:

14 manufacturing facilities will be idled and cease production by 2012, including a total of seven vehicle assembly plants.
Assembly capacity will be reduced by 1.2 million units or 26 percent by the end of 2008.

A new low-cost manufacturing site is planned for the future.
Ford will idle the following facilities through 2008:

St. Louis Assembly
Atlanta Assembly
Wixom Assembly
Batavia Transmission
Windsor Casting (announced following CAW contract negotiations in 2005)
Two additional assembly plants, which will be determined later this year

In addition, production at St. Thomas Assembly will be reduced to one shift.

at least my ford stock is looking better.

itburnswhenipee said:
The scuttlebutt around here is that Toyota is going to pick up the Batavia plant for something or another. Who knows if it's true.

They are building a new plant (that's confirmed) but I don't remember if it was Ohio or elsewhere.

theacoustician said:
They are already the largest mfg in the world.

iirc, gm was still holding that title by the thinnest of margins...only a matter of time until they lose but thought they still had it

KNYTE said:
Bahaha, Ford makes crappy cars and is going out of business.

++
And while we're at it, Mazda need to bring back the RX-7 and Mitsubishi should bring back the 3000GT :D

elpmis said:
And while we're at it, Mazda need to bring back the RX-7 and Mitsubishi should bring back the 3000GT :D

Fer realz man. The early 90s were the glory days of import sport cars.

KNYTE said:
Fer realz man. The early 90s were the glory days of import sport cars.

until they priced themselves right out of the market...I think the supra TT was near 50k by the time the plug was pulled on it in the US

why_ask_why said:
until they priced themselves right out of the market...I think the supra TT was near 50k by the time the plug was pulled on it in the US
Yeah that sounds about right, not many people were willing to shell out that kind of cash for a Toyota at the time - much like no-one really wanted to drop 70+k on a Volkswagen Phaeton

why_ask_why said:
And for a shitty fucking car too. Looked cool, but a dog at the track.

theacoustician said:
They are already the largest mfg in the world.
I'm referring to car sales in the world. According to the recent article in Playboy, they are currently #2 and will not obtain #1 until 2010.