Thread Xmas hauls

Because it doesn't have that cardboard texture that well done steak eaters are used to.

peanut got a couple of "omaha steak" steaks from her work for some holiday thing. Tried cooking em up for christmas, and messed em up royally. They were 5/8th of an inch thick max, so my standard "sear 45 seconds each side, oven bake for 3 minutes @550 method that normally produces perfect medium rare, produced well done instead since im used to 1.5 inch thick steaks :/

Thoroughly ruined em.

I know someone in their 40's who are the same way and I make fun of him for it.

lolz. sounds like my exwife. I think thats where my daughter got the irrational fear. My daughter is getting better though. She can do med-rare burgers. But for her, eating is really 'visual' and/or 'textural.' Quinoa? weird. Salami with peppercorns, zomg! Plain salami, fine.

Dude, that's the same one I got. For whatever reason, they were having a promo on that unit & not the wifi one. I had asked here if anyone used it, but it didn't seem to be a huge asset either way (wifi or bluetooth).

Have you used it?

The tenderloin I made got rave reviews from my 'it's got to be well done' daughter!

Also, I'm excited to try spaghetti gravy with Italian sausage. My mom used to make it on the stove all day, not even a simmer, & it was delish with the sausage just falling apart with a fork. Imma try it at 150 for 8hrs with this thing & see how it works out.
We used it to make eggs the next morning. A couple of months ago, we borrowed one from a friend and made the best tasting filet ever. Don't waste that on someone who likes steaks well done tho...

peanut got a couple of "omaha steak" steaks from her work for some holiday thing. Tried cooking em up for christmas, and messed em up royally. They were 5/8th of an inch thick max, so my standard "sear 45 seconds each side, oven bake for 3 minutes @550 method that normally produces perfect medium rare, produced well done instead since im used to 1.5 inch thick steaks :/

Thoroughly ruined em.

on a grill if you sear for 45 seconds to a minute on each side, then throw it off the indirect heat, it's almost impossible to screw up. leave it on for 8-10 minutes, less for thinner steaks, more for thicker ones. not sure how the oven compares.