WTT: hard drives

any particular reason? that kind of defeats the purpose of exchange if you are essentially using it in pop style

Its really no different. Instead of displaying the email, it simply downloads it THEN displays it. Other than that, its still pushed like normal... And the reason for that is that mail is never deleted and stays in the inbox. So every time someone starts outlook, it pulls all their mail for the last 7 years. That would tax the shit out of the exchange servers if its not in cached mode.

And yes, I know how dumb that is.

Its really no different. Instead of displaying the email, it simply downloads it THEN displays it. Other than that, its still pushed like normal... And the reason for that is that mail is never deleted and stays in the inbox. So every time someone starts outlook, it pulls all their mail for the last 7 years. That would tax the shit out of the exchange servers if its not in cached mode.

And yes, I know how dumb that is.
mail. for 7 years? damn good thing you don't keep attachments in there. that would get ridiculous.

Thats shady as hell.

Well, it is and it isn't. I mean, it would certainly take care of any shadyness that is going on in the email arena, but that sort of thing is soooOOoooOooo not tolerated here.

The legal precedent is what I stated earlier from what people who've gone through it have told me.

Imagine the expense of having to ensure that every, yes every (and that includes the emails that users have deleted) email from 7 years for 50,000+ users is saved.

Now sure, tape isn't that expensive - but these days it better be encrypted. Tape storage costs aren't cheap with that kind of volume. And oh yeah, should there be some sort of lawsuit 7 years from now you better be able to read that tape. Which means keeping obsolete hardware on the floor with the capability of reading that tape, NOT an easy or cheap task.

we're such a small firm that SOX never comes into play. at least, i don't think it does. Don't only publicly traded companies have to worry about that or something?

Well, it is and it isn't. I mean, it would certainly take care of any shadyness that is going on in the email arena, but that sort of thing is soooOOoooOooo not tolerated here.

The legal precedent is what I stated earlier from what people who've gone through it have told me.

Imagine the expense of having to ensure that every, yes every (and that includes the emails that users have deleted) email from 7 years for 50,000+ users is saved.

Now sure, tape isn't that expensive - but these days it better be encrypted. Tape storage costs aren't cheap with that kind of volume. And oh yeah, should there be some sort of lawsuit 7 years from now you better be able to read that tape. Which means keeping obsolete hardware on the floor with the capability of reading that tape, NOT an easy or cheap task.

Point. It could be easily done tho. OTOH, 3 months seems shady as hell, regardless of how you think management handles their business practices...