WTT: hard drives

my little brony

Keep Being A Little Bitch
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥21,495
I have 1.78TB (unformatted) worth of working, 3.5" hard drives. 6 160s, a 320 and a 500. Today I finally got them all in the case with decent airflow so they're not cooking each other but I still have a problem. I stubbed my toe but I also have a problem related to the drive issue.

I can't plug all them in. Five of those drives are SATA. I have four SATA ports on the mobo.

Frak.

So I would like to offer the following proposal. I am willing to trade two of the 160 SATAs (a samsung and a seagate) for a single 250gb SATA. I will also throw in a 160 IDE in order to get a 320+ SATA.

Why don't I just buy a bigger hard drive since they're so cheap? Well I'll tell you, Mr Nosey Posey McPrying.

My problem is not lack of space. I'm only taking up a little over a terabyte of that space so I have plenty of room. My beef is the fact that I can't use all my drives at once. For some odd reason it really, REALLY bugs me to have a perfectly functional hard drive in my possession that is not spun up. Why? I dunno.

I SAID I DON"T KNOW, OK?

A non-spinning drive just sitting in the case being oh-so-unuseful irks me like one of those silly why-do-we-drive-on-a-parkway-and-park-on-a-driveway question or why they put braille on a drive-up ATM. If the Xbox had SATA I'd throw it in there or maybe not considering I killed my last one hard-modding it so I think I'll stick with the softmod but seriously folks what's the deal with airline no wait hard drives c'mon dudes help a brother out.

Also, I only like using laptop drives for external uses since they're easier to tote around (yes I said tote, deal with it).

Last edited:
I'm in the mood right now to replace all of my drives with 2 750GB drives. Newegg keeps sending me these tantalizing offers and my 120+80+40+40 isn't cutting it.

I'm in the mood right now to replace all of my drives with 2 750GB drives. Newegg keeps sending me these tantalizing offers and my 120+80+40+40 isn't cutting it.

yeah, 280gb is on the slim side these days...I'm on the verge of replacing my 600gb capacity computer at work for being a 3 year old dinosaur

SATA 150 or SATA 300?

all 300

drives.jpg

the one not plugged in is a Samsung HD160JJ/P

I'd rather trade all or most of those drives in for something bigger, I have plenty of room left that I'm willing to sacrifice overall platter space in order consolidate some of those drives.

But yes, I know hard drives are cheap. I would just hate to set all these aside and not use them. :eek:

Just check out the dealie sites. Shoot for less than $0.20 per gb before rebates. If you want a solution inthe short term, get a PCI-to-SATA controller card, with RAID 5 or JBOD support.

Or just give me your drives, you are obviously not putting them to good use :fly:

:heart:

But yes, I know hard drives are cheap. I would just hate to set all these aside and not use them. :eek:

What happened to all of those other machines I gave you? Just slap a PCI controller card in there, and you have machines to run those drives. Cluster ftw.

Also, this thread is a lie. It is not a gay thread, nor a baby thread (OP not withstanding :fly: ) :heart:

I think I'm going to start moving to external hard drives.

That's not a bad idea. Just make sure you get good quality enclosure with a respected USB/Firewire-to-SATA chipset. Cheapo enclosures cause bad data corruption :(

Get an aluminum case with at least one fan to maintain longevity, as well as rubber grommets for "cushioning".

Just check out the dealie sites. Shoot for less than $0.20 per gb before rebates. If you want a solution inthe short term, get a PCI-to-SATA controller card, with RAID 5 or JBOD support.

Or just give me your drives, you are obviously not putting them to good use :fly:

:heart:

see the other thing is that over the past couple years I kept buying hard drives and I'm trying to stem my addiction to platter space by not spending another dime on it :p I want a new video card before anything else

AND I LIKE BEING DIFFICULT HENCE THE BABY ICON

What happened to all of those other machines I gave you? Just slap a PCI controller card in there, and you have machines to run those drives. Cluster ftw.

Also, this thread is a lie. It is not a gay thread, nor a baby thread (OP not withstanding :fly: ) :heart:

most were cannibalized for their parts to use in some of the older machines at work that I can't replace because they're part of larger diagnostic systems :o

see the other thing is that over the past couple years I kept buying hard drives and I'm trying to stem my addiction to platter space by not spending another dime on it :p I want a new video card before anything else

AND I LIKE BEING DIFFICULT HENCE THE BABY ICON

Controller card, use all of your current drives, problem solved.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124008 for your PCI slot if you have one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124027 for PCIe slot (whatever the size you have available)

as an aside, i think it's funny that every time i buy a drive it's two the capacity of the previous one. i have a 40, 80, 160 and 320. unfortunately due to IDE limitations only the 320 and 160 are currently installed.

Damn that's a nice price too

You do know you can "build" one for about half the price, right?

Well maybe not half price, but certainly with a better warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148136

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817392018

And you can find cheaper than this easily.

You can get much cheaper enclosure if you don't need all of that connectivity.

Better enclosure here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145045

Last edited: