wtf...someone just got shot in our building

Our office is actually located in kinda a shittier neighborhood. I mean its a beautiful office but surrounding isnt so nice, we didnt do enough research before buying. A couple days ago there was a car accident on the corner and 2 undercover cops were already on the scene not even 3 minutes after the crash. If a hostile walked into this office we would be fine.
*plain clothes, not undercover

If there were cops on the scene three minutes after the crash then they were there either on another job or purely by chance. Average police response time around the country is in the double digits. It takes less than a second to pull a trigger so no, if a hostile walked into your office you would not be fine. It would probably require someone getting killed before authorities could even be alerted to the fact that there was a problem.

One thing I know you realize is that you are a far swing from the normal gun holder. Not many are like you and if they were I would be all for the carrying everywhere and anywhere they want. Seeing that they are not, I will never allow someone armed entering my house or my office with my knowledge.

Even when we come back from the range you keep your guns in your car.

We know this how? How many gun owners do you know? :confused: I shoot with with sheriffs and federal agents frequently, I've yet to head any of them expresse concern over the non-LEOs they share the range with.

I guess I could have combined all those into one post :( I realized how long the thread was and just skimmed over the second half of the page :o I guess I shouldn't use 100ppp

Hey Dysfunc,
Please keep up your pointless attacks it will get you closer to the door which in turn will make me happy. Have a good weekend Dysfunc, hope yours is filled with joy

Why are you responding to me?

At any rate, it has been a thin slice of heaven here. Any reasonable and prudent person, getting the 'high horse' reply like yours, would have had a similar reaction like, "Who the hell do you think you are?"

Virtually all my posts are directed to the subject at hand and not to a person. You made it personal, not me.

I also understand that much of my perspective on things is different from many in this forum... age, no doubt, being the reason. But I believe that makes a forum interesting. If all that is wanted here is a symbiotic, cluster fuck, then perhaps this is not for me.

Once again, all you had to do is not reply to my post. To say you would love to but just don't enjoy doing so is complete bullshit, and you know it.

So, you know what you can do with this post also. And as far as the door is concerned... hey! I am just being me. Nobody wants to be where they are not welcome. If that becomes a consensus, shit... I'll go.

Not true at all. A bladed weapon is just as (if not more so) deadly than a gun. We're talking wounds that go to the bone and can be from several inches to up to a foot in length, slicing muscle, veins, arteries, and organs to ribbons.

A bladed instrument (of any kind) is just as much a weapon as any firearm, and you are fooling yourself if you believe you could defend against one (even in the hands of someone totally untrained) because you've seen a few movies or taken a Karate class or two.

This is true. Maybe it's the Texan in me, but guns I had zero fear around. Bring a knife around and it would make me more nervous.

While babysitting a little kid took a kitchen knife out and told me to cry bitch or he would stab me. If only there were knife permits this probably never would have happened. :fly:

Seriously though, guns at work are great. Just because you are at work doesn't mean things won't get violent. I work at an IT placement company and we have locks on the doors where the sales people sit. FOR THAT REASON of crazies trying something.

Gun laws are like abortion laws... everyone has strong opinions and no one can agree. :hs:

:lol: never said I'm as good as them or anything, just that they're there (like you'll find at most ranges) and they don't worry that one of us will suddenly decide to pop 'em :p

Truth.

When I go to certified ranges (which admittedly is not often because I don't like the "structure" of cert ranges) I see peace officers on a regular basis. The feeling there is always of mutual respect as long as you aren't waving your gun around wildly or shooting while intoxicated.

Last edited:
Truth.

When I go to certified ranges (which admittedly is not enough because I don't like the "structure" of cert ranges) I see peace officers on a regular basis. The feeling there is always of mutual respect as long as you aren't waving your gun around wildly or shooting while intoxicated.

yeah sometimes these guys will rent the entire range for the whole day, sometimes it's just individual ones coming in to practice. some of them lament the fact that most of their colleagues don't spend enough time at the range, some of them only fire their service weapons once every quarter or six months for quals.

but LEOs that don't like private gun ownership are a rarity. generally it's usually police chiefs that stir the most shit but they're politicians more than cops

yeah sometimes these guys will rent the entire range for the whole day, sometimes it's just individual ones coming in to practice. some of them lament the fact that most of their colleagues don't spend enough time at the range, some of them only fire their service weapons once every quarter or six months for quals.

but LEOs that don't like private gun ownership are a rarity. generally it's usually police chiefs that stir the most shit but they're politicians more than cops

My father was rank and file, except he was k9 later in his career.

He would always tell me, "We don't prevent crime we process victims."

He always told women who were battered to get a handgun and learn how to use it. In today's society we have turned our wrath and fear away from the thugs who commit the crimes and onto the firearm that can prevent them. Funny.

My father was rank and file, except he was k9 later in his career.

He would always tell me, "We don't prevent crime we process victims."

He always told women who were battered to get a handgun and learn how to use it. In today's society we have turned our wrath and fear away from the thugs who commit the crimes and onto the firearm that can prevent them. Funny.

the bad guy's always been the problem...even if you took away guns people would still find another way to kill each other...I do think people should have to pass a test to have a gun license and have to be retested every few years...you have to do it for cars...why not guns?

I'm not trying to entirely demonize guns either, I just don't think they have any place at work or in schools

Last edited:
the bad guy's always been the problem...even if you took away guns people would still find another way to kill each other...I do think people should have to pass a test to have a gun license and have to be retested every few years...you have to do it for cars...why not guns?

I'm not trying to entirely demonize guns either, I just don't think they have any place at work or in schools

I don't mind requiring basic safety course and licensing for someone that wants to carry but not for someone that just owns a firearm. I don't need a license or registration to drive my car on my property. I can take all the safety equipment and emissions crap off and drive it all want drunk off my ass as long as I stay on my own property.

Licensing and safety training in order to carry is acceptable but I don't believe should ever be required for someone to keep any firearm in their own home.

as for work, I'll leave that up to individual employers. if CNN doesn't want guns on the property that's their choice. if someone doesn't like that policy they can appeal to the higher ups or find another place to work. however if the board of directors at CNN decided one day "we feel that our employees are responsible enough to bring their firearms to work if they so choose" then that should also be their choice to do so. anyone that doesn't like it can appeal to the higher ups or find another place to work.

schools are ridiculous. gun free school zones are nothing more than notices to potential shooters that they have nothing to worry about. had harris and klebold known that some of their teachers were licensed to carry (which some of them were) it may have chenged things. even if it hadn't one of those teachers may have been able to stop them before getting 19 victims. I'm not suggesting we take steps to arm teachers but I believe any individual entrusted to carry a firearm on the street can be trusted to do so in a school or at 30k feet.

edit: i'm so gonna get ripped into for that :lol:

Last edited:
I don't mind requiring basic safety course and licensing for someone that wants to carry but not for someone that just owns a firearm. I don't need a license or registration to drive my car on my property. I can take all the safety equipment and emissions crap off and drive it all want drunk off my ass as long as I stay on my own property.

Licensing and safety training in order to carry is acceptable but I don't believe should ever be required for someone to keep any firearm in their own home.

as for work, I'll leave that up to individual employers. if CNN doesn't want guns on the property that's their choice. if someone doesn't like that policy they can appeal to the higher ups or find another place to work. however if the board of directors at CNN decided one day "we feel that our employees are responsible enough to bring their firearms to work if they so choose" then that should also be their choice to do so. anyone that doesn't like it can appeal to the higher ups or find another place to work.

schools are ridiculous. gun free school zones are nothing more than notices to potential shooters that they have nothing to worry about. had harris and klebold known that some of their teachers were licensed to carry (which some of them were) it may have chenged things. even if it hadn't one of those teachers may have been able to stop them before getting 19 victims. I'm not suggesting we take steps to arm teachers but I believe any individual entrusted to carry a firearm on the street can be trusted to do so in a school or at 30k feet.

edit: i'm so gonna get ripped into for that :lol:

I think I am going to jinx you... but I say you are so right on about the schools. Personally, I think that it should be a requirement for teachers to get full self defense training, hand to hand and firearms. There should also be legal protection for teachers who take reasonable actions in their use.

I remember, as a kid, one of the class bullies decided to mouth off at the teacher... the guy walked down the aisle and back-handed the little shit - knocked him down flat. The rest of the class cheered. Nothing was done to the teacher. Times have changed, and not for the better.

Better yet, the teacher's 'gat' should not be concealed. (follow me on this), the babe teachers use a leg holster, right above the knee, with an appropriate slit in the dress for (ahem) easy access. The babe teacher is only 'fully-accessorized' with matching handbag etc. Men tuck the damn thing in their belt, lay it on the desk and generally gesture with it. All this will get the teachers tons of street cred and have full focus of the student body. Learning will begin because class disruption will cease. Of course, they may have to shoot one or two of the little shits to get every one's attention.

:fly:

I still cant believe people who mouth off in class. I went to catholic school and goddamn the nuns might not have hit people often but they did on occaision. 1 dose of real punishment is eleventy billion*> empty threats.