:wtf: does "standards compliant" mean?

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
slashdot said:
Anonymous Cowherd writes "Paul Thurrott, a journalist that usually writes about all things windows related (and sometimes about Apple affairs too), made a call in a recent article to boycott Internet Explorer, due to Microsoft's approach (continued in IE7) of not supporting web standards: 'My advice here is simple: Boycott Internet Explorer. It is a cancer on the Web, and must be stopped. IE is insecure and is not standards-compliant, which makes it unworkable for both end users and Web content creators... You can turn the tide by demanding better from Microsoft and using a better alternative Web browser. I recommend and use Mozilla Firefox, but Apple Safari (Mac only) and Opera 8 are both worth considering as well.'"

I've never understood why whiny Firefox losers keep spouting out "standards compliant" BS against Internet Explorer. If 80% of the people you are designing a web page for view it with Internet Explorer doesn't that mean that Internet Explorer is the "standard" you should be building your page for? If you want to use an alternate web browser that's fine, more power to you, but the arguement of "it's insecure and doesn't keep to our standard" is just re:tard:ed.

Last edited:
I would say something but I wont cause I sense there isn't any point in putting any argument on the table judging by your post.

I Robert I said:
I would say something but I wont cause I sense there isn't any point in putting any argument on the table judging by your post.

No really, I'm unclear on what the arguement of "it's not standards compliant" is.

Well the gist of it is:
- W3C set the standards
- The standards are set so that pages will be accessible regardless of browser and hardware.
- W3C standards are open. No proprietary shit (IE)
- Pretty much ALL other browsers except IE follow standard and try to keep up with new technologies.
- IE is a backwards striving rancid pile of shit that come up with its own standards that wont work in any other standardscompliant browser.
- Web developers grow old 10 times faster while trying to make their standardscompliant pages to work properly in IE.
- Web developers cry themselves to sleep at night because they have to neuter their sites because IE doesn't support simple things like the bloody box modell.
- IE sucks
- IE needs to get with the program
- IE makes life hard and make your kids satanists.
- IE will eat your midnight snack.
- IE will kill your dog and sleep with your wife while maxing out your creditcard on Ebay
- In short IE needs to overdoze and die.

But I'm not bitter....

I Robert I said:
Well the gist of it is:
- W3C set the standards
- The standards are set so that pages will be accessible regardless of browser and hardware.
- Pretty much ALL other browsers except IE follow standard and try to keep up with new technologies.
- IE is a backwards striving rancid pile of shit that come up with its own standards that wont work in any other standardscompliant browser.
- Web developers grow old 10 times faster while trying to make their standardscompliant pages to work properly in IE.
- Web developers cry themselves to sleep at night because they have to neuter their sites because IE doesn't support simple things like the bloody box modell.
- IE sucks
- IE will kill your dog and sleep with your wife while maxing out your creditcard on Ebay

But I'm not bitter....

qfmft

wr3kt said:
I love robert.

I will soon be rivaling his internet connection as well.
Bout fucking time you guys caught up on broadband :p I love my 24mbit but I rarely use it to its full potential.

I Robert I said:
Bout fucking time you guys caught up on broadband :p I love my 24mbit but I rarely use it to its full potential.
Next week and my upload will kick your uploads ASS!!!

fios_order_submit.png

Meh, 1 or 2 doesn't make that much difference. And now that my main torrent site seems to have just dropped out of existence without a word to the members I'm relying on usenet so I don't need any upload ;) But then again I had no trouble keeping a 2:1 ratio on 1mbit so, again, meh!

I Robert I said:
Well the gist of it is:
- W3C set the standards
- IE sucks

But I'm not bitter....

I gotta side with Robert here too. I despise the fact that Microsoft thinks they can just make up their own standards.

Wow, that is one of I Robert I's smartest post ever and you start thinking he's a pretty sharp guy. Well until he follows it up with "Can't touch this do do do dooh".

lol

fly said:
I gotta side with Robert here too. I despise the fact that Microsoft thinks they can just make up their own standards.

You know, I have to disagree with you. Yes, IE probably is the most prevelant browser, but not all requests to web servers come from people using web browsers. What about scripts or applications-- microsoft money is comes immediately to mind-- that collect information from webpages? Such things would be impossible without html (and related) standards.

edit: of course, now that I think about it Microsoft Money would probably be able to play well with pages that only work for IE, but that's not the point...

Last edited:
b_sinning said:
Wow, that is one of I Robert I's smartest post ever and you start thinking he's a pretty sharp guy. Well until he follows it up with "Can't touch this do do do dooh".

lol
It's all part of my master plan, you need not worry.