would you say you're a risk-taker?

i'm guessing that sarcasmo doesn't approve of the idea of selling possessions and travelling. :fly:

i have a very unpopular way of viewing money and possessions. i guess i can understand how easy it would be to sell everything and travel.

Sarcasmo said:
People have a weird concept of money these days. It's more expensive to live than ever, and more and more people find themselves entering retirement with nothing. 30 years from now costs will be astronomical. And yet so many young people that I know are like "Let's get rid of everything and travel around the world! la la la la When we get back we'll just get more stuff! la la la la Don't worry, we're young! We have our whole money-earning lives ahead of us! It's all about having fun NOW! la la la"

I hope to be dead long before I have to worry about money. Chances are I will be. Three bouts with cancer will really change your opinion of life. You might make fun of me, but I want to have fun now. I do not want to put off my life until my retirement which may or may not ever actually happen. My father worked his whole life so that he'd be comfy during his retirement and kicked the bucket at 60. My uncle died 6 months after he retired. My grandfather blew all of his savings on an affair, but still managed to put a roof over his head and food in his stomach until he died.

It's not that I don't think about 30 years from now. There's nothing to say I can't invest some money in planning for the future, but I'm certainly not going to sacrifice my life now for a future that might not ever be there. I feel really bad for people that do. Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm silly or irresponsible. I have very different experiences from you, and therefore a VERY different perspective.

Candy said:
Shawn and I took a risk last night walking home from the bar on US 19 at 3AM... Approx. 3 miles from home and we didn't want to wait for a cab. That pretty much sucked.

Another risk was when he then decided to steal someone's solar power light and was walking down our street like the statue of Liberty.

bwhahahahaha, where did you walk home from?

When the only one at risk is myself I'll take them as they come. I have no qualms about losing everything; I've been on both ends of the spectrum financially and as far as taking physical risks I figure I've been living on borrowed time since I was 15. I'll go skydiving, BASE jumping, rafting, whatever.

I avoid taking risks, especially financial, when I have someone else depending on my income. Without that, however, I enjoy taking chances.

Candy said:
Shawn and I took a risk last night walking home from the bar on US 19 at 3AM... Approx. 3 miles from home and we didn't want to wait for a cab. That pretty much sucked.
where on 19?
April23 said:
<--- Loves risks, moves halfway across the country to be with a pedo for the rest of her life.
I still don't know the story behind you two.

FlyNavy said:
When the only one at risk is myself I'll take them as they come. I have no qualms about losing everything; I've been on both ends of the spectrum financially and as far as taking physical risks I figure I've been living on borrowed time since I was 15. I'll go skydiving, BASE jumping, rafting, whatever.

I'm with you on the physical risks too. Anything for some adrenaline!

elpmis said:
I'm a risk taker with some things and not with others

I guess that makes me a moderate risk taker

Ditto. I tend to think before I jump. So if I know there is a high risk of injury becuase of stupidity 3 out 5 times I will avoid the risk. The other 2 times I'm an injured dumbass.

FlyNavy said:
I still don't know the story behind you two.

Talked online for 3 months, met up on a cruise (shared a cabin) to the Bahamas, dated long distance for four month and made trips out to see each other occasionally... then moved in together February before last.

Our two year anniversary is coming up!

April23 said:
Talked online for 3 months, met up on a cruise (shared a cabin) to the Bahamas, dated long distance for four month and made trips out to see each other occasionally... then moved in together February before last.

Our two year anniversary is coming up!
How did y'all meet?

eileenbunny said:
I hope to be dead long before I have to worry about money. Chances are I will be. Three bouts with cancer will really change your opinion of life. You might make fun of me, but I want to have fun now. I do not want to put off my life until my retirement which may or may not ever actually happen. My father worked his whole life so that he'd be comfy during his retirement and kicked the bucket at 60. My uncle died 6 months after he retired. My grandfather blew all of his savings on an affair, but still managed to put a roof over his head and food in his stomach until he died.

It's not that I don't think about 30 years from now. There's nothing to say I can't invest some money in planning for the future, but I'm certainly not going to sacrifice my life now for a future that might not ever be there. I feel really bad for people that do. Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm silly or irresponsible. I have very different experiences from you, and therefore a VERY different perspective.

So your dad and uncle died before they could enjoy retirement. So what? Did they take care of themselves? Were they healthy? I don't see how you can use that as justification for a happy-go-lucky outlook on finances since everyone's situation is unique. And so what if you've had cancer three times? You could live to be 104. What then? You blow your money on living for the moment, you have a lot of fun, and then the last 40 years of your life are spent collecting government benefits and food stamps to survive. Thank you for the added burden on society.

I see what you're saying, I really do, and I'm just being the Devil's Advocate. Maybe you really are financially responsible. But so many people I know aren't, and have no concept of the future and no one teaches them or explains it to them. They're fucking themselves and the rest of us.