would you say you're a risk-taker?

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
i have come to terms with the fact that i am not one, in any way, shape or form. not with investing, not with change, not with starting my own business...i'm too much into the what-ifs, combined with the fact that i don't have money to do over again if something were to go wrong. i'm not even a risk-taker, like sarcasmo put it in another thread, as a 21-century whore or whatever.
so what about you? and how to you justify being one/not being one? and do you find yourself taking great risks some places and being uncomfortable with risk in others?

I'll take a risk only if I can afford to lose, so I guess I'm not much of a risk taker. I wouldn't risk losing all my money on a gamble investment, but I think doing something like that is stupid. I have a friend that took a huge investment risk, and lost a ton of money, and had to borrow from his kids college fund to refinance it. That's not something I would even consider doing.

I have this thing where I consider every single microscopic facet of everything I do, which kind of precludes me from being spontaneous or "risky". I'm way too cautious and aware of consequences. But I do love to have fun, don't get me wrong. I'm just not the guy who jumps into things. Or off things.

For the most part, I'm a non-risk taker. Every once in a while I get a wild hair. In Alaska, I walked through a forest full of hungry bears unarmed and I rafted down a 36 degree river that without a dry suit will kill me in a matter of seconds. With the dry suit we would survive a couple of minutes.

Shawn and I took a risk last night walking home from the bar on US 19 at 3AM... Approx. 3 miles from home and we didn't want to wait for a cab. That pretty much sucked.

Another risk was when he then decided to steal someone's solar power light and was walking down our street like the statue of Liberty.

I take a few calculated risks with investments, maybe a bit more than most I know. For the most part, I rarely take chances. I've made one large gamble with my life and I'm not talking about falling off of a cliff and spending a week in the hospital unconscious :fly:

I would be a risk taker, but Dan's not much of one. Since I don't feel any responsibilities in life other than to Dan, it's easy to take risks. I think that the more responsibilities you have, the less you can risk. Having kids probably takes the risk taking out of most people.

I keep trying to convince Dan that we should sell everything and go on a world tour or something. When we came back we'd have nothing, but I don't consider that to be a bad thing. Here in America there is always more to be had, so having nothing and starting from scratch doesn't scare me.

I also like the idea of investing in high risk stocks. Why not? We are young and could afford to lose money.

eileenbunny said:
I would be a risk taker, but Dan's not much of one. Since I don't feel any responsibilities in life other than to Dan, it's easy to take risks. I think that the more responsibilities you have, the less you can risk. Having kids probably takes the risk taking out of most people.

I keep trying to convince Dan that we should sell everything and go on a world tour or something. When we came back we'd have nothing, but I don't consider that to be a bad thing. Here in America there is always more to be had, so having nothing and starting from scratch doesn't scare me.

I also like the idea of investing in high risk stocks. Why not? We are young and could afford to lose money.

that would be incredible. what do you ahve that you can't replace? if you have an answer to this, you can always keep that at a friends/family's place.

People have a weird concept of money these days. It's more expensive to live than ever, and more and more people find themselves entering retirement with nothing. 30 years from now costs will be astronomical. And yet so many young people that I know are like "Let's get rid of everything and travel around the world! la la la la When we get back we'll just get more stuff! la la la la Don't worry, we're young! We have our whole money-earning lives ahead of us! It's all about having fun NOW! la la la"

I'm not a very good risk taker. I try to be spontaneous but with a 2 year old that is near impossible. We are looking at getting into Real Estate investing over the next couple of years, but I don't really look at that as a risk.

eileenbunny said:

Yes responsibilities do seem to take the pizazz out of life. Theac and I have talk about traveling quite a bit, but never seem to get our shit together and go. There's always something that needs to be done around the house...a room to paint, a lawn to cut, a kitchen to remodel and pets to take care of. :hs: