Would you say this is discrimination?

They pointed to where the research labs were and they had guys with machine guns at the door. They said it super high clearance and that there was no way I would ever enter it.

Lies, they didn't have machine guns.

That would take a very special kind of permit, they were more than likely just semi-auto. :fly:

looks like i picked a good day to quit then. you know me, like to start strong on monday.

That made me think of this conversation from the great 80s movie Real Men.

Bob: I didn't know you smoked.
Nick: Just after sex, Bob. I'm trying to give it up.
Bob: Well, at least you don't smoke that much.
Nick: About a pack a day.
Bob: That'll kill ya!
Nick: Bob, it won't kill ya. But it will make you very sore.

They looked like machine guns. I'm sorry I didn't get a closer look but the guys looked hyped up on nicotine.

They looked like machine guns. I'm sorry I didn't get a closer look but the guys looked hyped up on nicotine.

Never take your eyes off of a cig-addict. Especially one with a select-fire H&K G36C and several fully loaded mags.

Lies, they didn't have machine guns.

That would take a very special kind of permit, they were more than likely just semi-auto. :fly:

Actually, for a corporation, it's not all that difficult. Just a couple of forms, submitting to an ATF audit whenever they feel like it, etc.

The hardest part for an individual is the Local CLEO signoff.

Actually, for a corporation, it's not all that difficult. Just a couple of forms, submitting to an ATF audit whenever they feel like it, etc.

The hardest part for an individual is the Local CLEO signoff.

I was under the impression it was the same level of scrutiny us schmoes had to go through. :iono:

That made me think of this conversation from the great 80s movie Real Men.

Bob: I didn't know you smoked.
Nick: Just after sex, Bob. I'm trying to give it up.
Bob: Well, at least you don't smoke that much.
Nick: About a pack a day.
Bob: That'll kill ya!
Nick: Bob, it won't kill ya. But it will make you very sore.

which reminds me of another joke.
A: I'm cutting back, now I only smoke when I drink.
B: How much do you drink?
A: About a pack a day.

However, I generally support the idea of a private enterprise being allowed to make its own decisions regarding employment. If you want to hire someone and don't want to deal with smokers just because you don't feel like it, then the government shouldn't be involved. As long as the free market is available to keep it in check.

So if I don't want to hire any Hispanics for my private enterprise, I'm good to go?

Companies should have the right to choose who they want to hire. They are probably looking at it from a financial standpoint. Sure they can limit breaks and that would take care of that problem. I've worked at places where they only let you take a break for lunch so that was the only time I could smoke, and that was okay.

The real issue is insurance. If you have a smoker working for you, everybody in your company has to pay for it in increased insurance rates. This really isn't fair to all the employees or the employer.

Then again, where does it end? Will they stop hiring fat people? People who get migraines? Will companies choose to give people a full physical before they hire them? How far will the ADA have to go to protect unhealthy people?

Making tobacco illegal would be insane though. I imagine nicotine addicts would act something like heroin addicts if they had to get their fix through the black market. We don't need more criminals in this country, we need less.

I suppose it comes down to choices. A guy in a wheel chair or a hispanic guy (hi Coqui) didn't choose to be there. A smoker chose that. Fat people generally choose that. Make better choices and have better job prospects. That really doesn't sound too unfair at all.

I get a little angry when taking the stairs to work right behind someone who was smoking. Thanks for smoking in a not well ventilated area, you jerk.

Then again, where does it end? Will they stop hiring fat people? People who get migraines? Will companies choose to give people a full physical before they hire them? How far will the ADA have to go to protect unhealthy people.

Being severely overweight is a choice, period.

Regular migraines are something that anyone who suffers from them should have investigated by a doctor until the cause is found.

how fat are we talking?
do i have to be within 25lbs of my height weight requirement to work at a location? what if I'm Samoan where I have no choice on my size literally.