Thread Would you be ready for the worst case sceniaro?

Floptical

Doesnt Read Thread Titles
Sep 1, 2006
Rockies
Marklar
₥34,710
Just to get an interesting conversation started and get us away from the arguing threads who here has any sort of emergency plans, prep, or supplies in case of a natural disaster or god forbid something worse. I've always had my hurricane prep box with a few days of necessities that could keep me going. If something bad happened right now would you be ready to go or would you be stuck without nothing?

Interesting. I was just thinking about the need for a thread like this. I'll contribute some tomorrow when I have more time.

This is covered ad nauseum on other forums.

Natural disasters:
I'm convinced that most southerners and anyone who lives in a large metro area are just going to die. Especially in the Virginia Beach to NYC to Boston corridor. Rural people in the snowbelt/Canadians are better prepared for natural disasters on the whole, followed by some people on the Gulf Coast. Everyone else has unrealistic ideas or just plain don't deal with lethal weather much. It's always funny when it snows in DC. The Mountain West gets a lot of snow but they don't really have the exciting weather like Tornados/Hurricanes.

Zombie Apocalypse:
Preparation for long term EOTWAWKI scenarios usually suffers from a lack of understanding about how things work _now_. Vertical integration of the systems necessary to support a 'normal' lifestyle for an extended period of time are beyond the scope of any minority group. Pre-industrial revolution style subsistence living is probably doable. Communication is where the money is going to be.

This is covered ad nauseum on other forums.

Natural disasters:
I'm convinced that most southerners and anyone who lives in a large metro area are just going to die. Especially in the Virginia Beach to NYC to Boston corridor. Rural people in the snowbelt/Canadians are better prepared for natural disasters on the whole, followed by some people on the Gulf Coast. Everyone else has unrealistic ideas or just plain don't deal with lethal weather much. It's always funny when it snows in DC. The Mountain West gets a lot of snow but they don't really have the exciting weather like Tornados/Hurricanes.

Zombie Apocalypse:
Preparation for long term EOTWAWKI scenarios usually suffers from a lack of understanding about how things work _now_. Vertical integration of the systems necessary to support a 'normal' lifestyle for an extended period of time are beyond the scope of any minority group. Pre-industrial revolution style subsistence living is probably doable. Communication is where the money is going to be.

Big amounts of snow in DC are rare so it doesn't really make sense for them as a community to spend thousands or millions of dollars on being super prepared for such things. I guess it is funny to you because where you live they have tons of snow removal equipment and people have vehicles better suited for the weather. We get a major snow storm maybe once every 10 years. Why go out of our way to be prepared for something that happens so rarely? Also, no matter where you live, it is really rare to get 5 feet of snow in a week like we did 2 years ago. There's no being prepared for that, you just do the best you can.

As for other disaster preparedness, I would say Dan and I aren't super prepared. We do have a couple of battery operated radios, some canned goods and some bottled water around so I think we'd be okay. Around here we don't get very many disasters. No fault lines, it's too hilly for many tornadoes (although I'm aware it does happen), hurricanes rarely make their way up here and if they do they are usually pretty weak by the time they get here, and more than a couple inches of snow is pretty rare.

I was worried about hurricanes the first year I was here actually. I am still worried a bit, but we are on the 3rd floor in our apartment and quite a ways away from the gulf itself. When Katrina and Ike came through, the area we are at wasn't really hit at all, so I am not THAT worried. I would still like to be prepared, though but need some ideas what to be prepared with.

My more immediate issue with the worst case scenario is robbery. If they don't steal the drobos, then we're fine.

Shit.

Snow is probably one of the biggest things I have to worry about, and possibly ice storms, like the one we had in '98. My parents were without power for about two weeks. I have enough food to last quite a while, and a grill to cook with, so i'd be pretty safe for a while. Clean water would probably be the biggest concern I guess, aside from running out of liquor.

Snow is probably one of the biggest things I have to worry about, and possibly ice storms, like the one we had in '98. My parents were without power for about two weeks. I have enough food to last quite a while, and a grill to cook with, so i'd be pretty safe for a while. Clean water would probably be the biggest concern I guess, aside from running out of liquor.
Just melt some snow >>> clean water. The liquor, however, is more of a dire concern.

I was worried about hurricanes the first year I was here actually. I am still worried a bit, but we are on the 3rd floor in our apartment and quite a ways away from the gulf itself. When Katrina and Ike came through, the area we are at wasn't really hit at all, so I am not THAT worried. I would still like to be prepared, though but need some ideas what to be prepared with.

My more immediate issue with the worst case scenario is robbery. If they don't steal the drobos, then we're fine.

Shit.

Hurricanes can be no joke in Houston.

We aren't as prepared as I would like. It's terrifying that we live on a peninsula so the only way out of our area is the same way everyone else is going if a natural disaster was going to hit. We only have three cat carriers and four cats... :omy: