Would anyone be interested in riddles?

theacoustician said:
Alternate Reality Gaming. Multiple riddles and puzzles intertwined around a plot line that tries to blur the edges of the game and reality. For example, you can get phone calls from in-story characters or clues mailed to you from them. I Love Bees (the ARG that announced Halo2) was probably the most popular and well know of the genre. Perplex City is the current hotness, but I don't dig the card collecting aspect of it.
Man you would have loved Uru Live - it was made by Turner too if I'm not mistaken

edit: just checked it out online, looks like it's coming out after all - I thought production of the game was cancelled

edit 2: Uru Live, a now-defunct (Update: Uru Live is to be restarted by Turner Broadcasting System/GameTap) "immersive" MMORPG created by Cyan Worlds, was the culmination of nearly a decade of subtle (and, in the later years, not-so-subtle) overtones in dialogue between the software company and the fan community, in which the former "passively maintained" the existence of the fictional D'ni race. The hired actors who formed the D'ni Restoration Council served as the central feature of the ARG experience.

Last edited:
FlyNavy said:
As I was going to St. Ives I met a man with seven wives. Every wife had seven sacks, every sack had seven cats, every cat had seven kits. Kits, cats, sacks, wives - how many were going to St. Ives?

1. You!

theacoustician said:
I was playing ILB2 during the first phase. Subsquent phases have sucked big nuts. Its so impossibly incoherent, no one could follow it. That and 90% of it took place on IRC so you'd have to park yourself there for hours at a time. Talk about soul sucking.

I then moved on to www.alternatereality.us, but its so isoteric that I couldn't figure out what the hell to do next or even what the point was. That, and there aren't really any prizes. I can fill you in further if you care.

I'd like to actually run one, but I'd need more than a few puppetmasters to help. Interested?

would i ever. seriously.

Okay, here's one I heard on car talk-- I'll paraphrase it a bit:

Sol and Ed left work early to go to the strip joint on the other side of town. Sol parks his car outside the strip joint, and he and Ed go inside to drink heavily and have boobs rubbed in their faces. Several hours later they leave the strip joint, get into Sol's car, and try to leave.

Now, Sol's car has a manual transmission, and has, for some time, been weeping fluid from the clutch master cylinder. Sol's ingenious solution to this problem has been to carry a bottle of brake fluid in the trunk and to add a little to the clutch whenever it went dry.

As luck would have it, the last of the fluid had leaked out of the clutch master cylinder during the hours spent in the strip joint by Sol and Ed, and no matter how vigorously Sol pumped the pedal he found himself unable to put the car in gear. Guessing, correctly, that all the clutch fluid had leaked out, Sol went to the trunk of his car to fetch the bottle of brake fluid. Much to Sol's dismay, he hadn't properly capped the bottle the last time he used it and all the fluid had spilled or evaporated.

At this point, Ed experienced a sudden paroxysm of diarreah, and sprinted across the road to a fast food restaurant. Thirty minutes passed before Ed emerged from the restaurant, holding an object in his hand and beaming triumphantly.

"This," said Ed, showing Sol the object, "will get us on our way in no time!"

What did Ed find to solve the problem?
Hint: it's not a fluid.
Also a hint: it will let Sol and Ed drive home in Sol's car.
still a hint: it will let them fix the car in the parking lot where it is currently parked

Last edited:
itburnswhenipee said:

Sol and Ed left work early to go to the strip joint on the other side of town. Sol parks his car outside the strip joint, and he and Ed go inside to drink heavily and have boobs rubbed in their faces. Several hours later they leave the strip joint, get into Sol's car, and try to leave.

Now, Sol's car has a manual transmission, and has, for some time, been weeping fluid from the clutch master cylinder. Sol's ingenious solution to this problem has been to carry a bottle of brake fluid in the trunk and to add a little to the clutch whenever it went dry.

As luck would have it, the last of the fluid had leaked out of the clutch master cylinder during the hours spent in the strip joint by Sol and Ed, and no matter how vigorously Sol pumped the pedal he found himself unable to put the car in gear. Guessing, correctly, that all the clutch fluid had leaked out, Sol went to the trunk of his car to fetch the bottle of brake fluid. Much to Sol's dismay, he hadn't properly capped the bottle the last time he used it and all the fluid had spilled or evaporated.

At this point, Ed experienced a sudden paroxysm of diarreah, and sprinted across the road to a fast food restaurant. Thirty minutes passed before Ed emerged from the restaurant, holding an object in his hand and beaming triumphantly.

The number for a taxi?

the point though is to have a thread for each major riddle, so that way you don't have multiple convos and guesses for different riddles in the same thread, confusing things.

itburnswhenipee said:

A quarter to call a tow truck to get to a mechanic's shop.

Sarcasmo said:
A quarter to call a tow truck to get to a mechanic's shop.
Naw, I think it's an egg mcmuffin with cheese, cuz then he's just gonna fart them back home

itburnswhenipee said:

still a hint: it will let them fix the car in the parking lot where it is currently parked
I hope you're not suggesting they replace the fluid with vegetable oil from the fast food restaurant.

itburnswhenipee said:
That would contaminate the system. Besides, it's not a fluid (see Hint)
A straw to syphon some of the current brake fluid out into a cup and pour it back in for the transmission?

I would love to do riddles! ARGs sound uber cool too, but Im not sure I have the time to donate and/or the attention span, but I'd be willing to try.

fly said:
I would love to do riddles! ARGs sound uber cool too, but Im not sure I have the time to donate and/or the attention span, but I'd be willing to try.
ARG can be fucking badass, but they take a decent amount of time to set up.