Worst nightmare you've ever had?

I used to have a recurring dream when I was a kid and slept on the top bunk. Quite often I would wake up (in the dream) and be surrounded by snakes. Then I would awake (already sitting up) and be half awake but still see snakes everywhere. I would be half way to my parents bedroom before I stopped seeing the snakes.

I still have similar dreams now. I fall alseep with my eyes open and I'm still in the room but there is added things like snakes or spiders.

i always have bad dreams. i used to have a recurring one of someone breaking into my house to kill me and my family, and we tried hiding in various parts of the house, but he always found us, and brutally murdered my parents before killing me. i also dream about seeing horrible situations and trying to call for help, but find i have no voice with which to scream. probably the worst nightmare i've ever had was one of my exes chasing me down, tying me to a bed or a chair or something, and raping me with either a knife or a gun (also a recurring dream) and then killing me with whatever he raped me with.

a lot of times I have dreams where I'm doing something in my everyday life and all of a sudden my legs get really heavy and hard to move. I have this dream a lot, and it doesn't seem like a dream.

I looked it up and it happens to people who move in their sleep. So you might be dreaming about walking and your legs are moving, but then you roll over and your legs can't move anymore.

right before i wake up in the morning i usually have this dream were i pop out of bed shower and such and then get in the car. at which point i wake up and bam i have to do it all over again for real this time. and everytime i try to wake up becouse i know its a dream, i get up take a shower and such, and bam the same dream over again. its getting hard to tell the difference between when i'm dreaming and actually awake in the morning.

recurring dream where there were large creatures flying about in my neighborhood, and i just somehow knew they were evil.

the rest of the children and i grouped together, and made up a plan on how to get to the bank near to my house and get into the vault (dunno; it made sense). i made the plans, and we broke out just in time to run into a couple of them. i had sent everyone in front of me, thinking if someone went down, it might as well be me.

the last thing i remembered in the dream was being surprised they could breathe fire and that burning alive really sucks. then i would wake up. not nearly the most violent, but i had that one back when i was eight or nine. i've been desensitized enough that the rest really haven't gotten to me.

btw: anyone that tellls you you can't die in a dream is lying. i didn't in that one, but have in many others.

El Borracho said:
right before i wake up in the morning i usually have this dream were i pop out of bed shower and such and then get in the car. at which point i wake up and bam i have to do it all over again for real this time. and everytime i try to wake up becouse i know its a dream, i get up take a shower and such, and bam the same dream over again. its getting hard to tell the difference between when i'm dreaming and actually awake in the morning.

When you wake up in the morning and go to have a shower do some reality checks.

These can be various things. Flicking a light switch works for some people. Quite often in dreams lights don't work properly. Another one is checking the clock. Look at the clock and blink, then see if you can change the time. If you are able to change the time you are dreaming.

These are steps to lucid dreaming which is a pretty cool experience. But you can also use them to tell if you are really dreaming or not.

crazymike said:

These can be various things. Flicking a light switch works for some people. Quite often in dreams lights don't work properly. Another one is checking the clock. Look at the clock and blink, then see if you can change the time. If you are able to change the time you are dreaming.

These are steps to lucid dreaming which is a pretty cool experience. But you can also use them to tell if you are really dreaming or not.

Thats a fantastic idea. This could be a fun thing to do. :cool: thanks.

When i was a kid I had the same nightmare every night for weeks... Dracula was chasing me and just when I thought I lost him silly putty would show up on the floor and he would appear from the silly putty and chase me all over the house. Sometimes there would be other people there but I was the only one that seen him. I still dont like silly putty to this day.

crazymike said:

Yeah, I've heard about that. Any kind of writing (or like you said, the time) should change when you look away for a while.
Something about the unconscious mind not being able to store that kinda information *shrug*
But I hardly ever know or even suspect I'm dreaming, my dreams always seem real to me. So I've never been able to try it out :(

Grunt said:
Yeah, I've heard about that. Any kind of writing (or like you said, the time) should change when you look away for a while.
Something about the unconscious mind not being able to store that kinda information *shrug*
But I hardly ever know or even suspect I'm dreaming, my dreams always seem real to me. So I've never been able to try it out :(

you have to do it IRL first. Make it a habit. Like everytime you go into a room flick the light switch, or do the clock trick, etc... Eventually your mind will start doing it in your dreams and hopefully it will catch on. Once you realize you are lucid you have the complete ability to do what you please and control your dreams.

I stopped dreaming about myself a long time ago because everytime I was in a dream, it turned out to be a nightmare. Now granted it was nothing compared to what I would consider a nightmare now, but when you are in the 3rd grade, it was pretty scary stuff.

crazymike said:
you have to do it IRL first. Make it a habit. Like everytime you go into a room flick the light switch, or do the clock trick, etc... Eventually your mind will start doing it in your dreams and hopefully it will catch on. Once you realize you are lucid you have the complete ability to do what you please and control your dreams.
Nah, I don't want to go through all that trouble :p

I read about lucid dreaming a while back and I thought I'd give it a try.(There was a huge thread about in on genmay I think)

You were supposed to wake up a few hours earlier than normal and stay awake for like an hour, then go back to sleep. And you were also supposed to repeat "I will have a lucid dream, i WILL have a lucid dream!" over an over again.
Well I set my alarm to go off at 5am and see if it works for me.. At 4:59 am I woke up all of a sudden, thought "Fuck that lucid shit", turned off the alarm and went back to sleep :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Grunt said:
Nah, I don't want to go through all that trouble :p

I read about lucid dreaming a while back and I thought I'd give it a try.(There was a huge thread about in on genmay I think)

You were supposed to wake up a few hours earlier than normal and stay awake for like an hour, then go back to sleep. And you were also supposed to repeat "I will have a lucid dream, i WILL have a lucid dream!" over an over again.
Well I set my alarm to go off at 5am and see if it works for me.. At 4:59 am I woke up all of a sudden, thought "Fuck that lucid shit", turned off the alarm and went back to sleep :p

FYI, that's a horrible way of attaining lucidness.

crazymike said:
FYI, that's a horrible way of attaining lucidness.
I'm sure you're right. :)
There was a link posted to some site about lucid dreaming and the guy seemed to know what he was talking about.
So I guess that way works for some people

Grunt said:
I'm sure you're right. :)
There was a link posted to some site about lucid dreaming and the guy seemed to know what he was talking about.
So I guess that way works for some people

I'm sure it works, but it's the lazy way and won't work all the time and won't help you achieve it on a regular basis.

crazymike said:
I'm sure it works, but it's the lazy way and won't work all the time and won't help you achieve it on a regular basis.
So how do you do it? :)