worst inbox on the forum?

BigDov said:
We're all using Mozilla mail or Thunderbird, or some derivative of whatever version of Mozilla each user is using. We don't seem to have those issues...... might take a couple seconds for the message to open, but it doesn't hobble the client.
it's because we use outlook, it sucks ass.

why_ask_why said:
it's not outlook, it's your poor connection to the server
I think that may have something to do with the packet flooding issues as well as the major redesign we're going through right now. Either way it sucks my ass and I dispise it.

Actually, I think I'm fed up with email alltogether. My webhost seems to have problems with the mailserver about once a month. I'm about ready to pop for rackspace in a colocation but that's still a few months off yet. :(

why_ask_why said:
it's not outlook, it's your poor connection to the server

I dunno, the server my mail goes through is located in Newark, California, and mine's super-fast.....

edit: and I should mention that Newark is a good 1000 miles away from me

BigDov said:
I dunno, the server my mail goes through is located in Newark, California, and mine's super-fast.....

edit: and I should mention that Newark is a good 1000 miles away from me
and that means you've obviously got a better connection to your mailserver than I do to mine.

CletusJones said:
We've got those same asshats working here. My favorite are the ones who send inline images in HTML emails. Those are the best since they cause our email client (outlook) to lock while the data is being transferred across the network from the mailserver that's 100 miles away.
That's why people who send HTML emails should have their fingers burned off with a thermite bomb.

Thorn Bird said:
so what is the composition of the emails in the inbox numbering 17,000? how long have they been there? what kind of emails are they? are they all business-related? this just blows my mind that all you guys, who range in careers, have such an outstanding number of emails. what's the ratio here, as in, how many emails per day/per week is average? i'm just amazed by this thread.
80% work, 20% personal

5-6000 are from June to now, 11,000 or so are migrated emails from another system that I just don't have time to sort

ChikkenNoodul said:
80% work, 20% personal

5-6000 are from June to now, 11,000 or so are migrated emails from another system that I just don't have time to sort

last time I cleaned out was around august and mine are 99% work emails

BUT WHAT IS IN THESE EMAILS? i just can't see how you can get 500 business emails in a day. i mean, before emails, did people deliver these messages personally to your desk somehow? i'm trying to understand why everyone would have so many important things to say that emails are sent, and so many. i just don't get it!

Thorn Bird said:
BUT WHAT IS IN THESE EMAILS? i just can't see how you can get 500 business emails in a day. i mean, before emails, did people deliver these messages personally to your desk somehow? i'm trying to understand why everyone would have so many important things to say that emails are sent, and so many. i just don't get it!
I get over 200 emails a day just on change control. Add another 100 for support tickets. Add another 100 emails or so for projects, then 15-20 random emails.

Thorn Bird said:

unfortunately, if a raccoon farts in taiwan, I get an email about it...it's the "change control" that theac mentions below(or above this)...whenever something happens to our IT infrastructure globally, there is an email warning people it's going to happen and one saying it's been completed

also get email from the ~170 people I support for our legal dept all over atlanta and another 20-30 people abroad

various other shite as well

Thorn Bird said:
Because in CYA mode everybody cc's everybody else on tons of communications that don't interest or involve the majority :fly: