Ontopic Working wood for fun and profit

Probably just the pic angle and it being upsidedown and wrapped up but something looks strange with the "third" leg. Weird angle or like it's sawed off short or something.

Also seems like it'd take up a lot of floorspace for a little bench but all this is artistic license really. If it sits and supports a safe amount of weight, it's good structurally.

^^. Good example of the artistic part.

I was gonna say angles and even radiuses I think more of bending and welding tube stock. Casting is a good way to make odd shapes, like to mimic/continue the wood curves.

Probably just the pic angle and it being upsidedown and wrapped up but something looks strange with the "third" leg. Weird angle or like it's sawed off short or something.

Also seems like it'd take up a lot of floorspace for a little bench but all this is artistic license really. If it sits and supports a safe amount of weight, it's good structurally.
Two of the legs I cut off so they are shorter, the taller leg I didn't cut off as I wasn't 100% sure about how long it needed to be to be level, so yeah it should look a little weird.

Edit: It'll be fixed in post

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
^^. Good example of the artistic part.

I was gonna say angles and even radiuses I think more of bending and welding tube stock. Casting is a good way to make odd shapes, like to mimic/continue the wood curves.
You're right, it's good for odd shapes, but the mixed media here gives a good opportunity to contrast rather than stick with one aesthetic overall.

I'd say go for hard 90° angles on the legs, maybe even square off the outside, to contrast with the wood.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
3b2ffa40b04685633f35e5c2f2fd4e87.jpg