Ontopic Working wood for fun and profit

Oh, you'll want rubber pads under the wood feet to keep the thing from sliding.

I s'pose you could just put those pads under the steel and omit the wood feet.

5 minute Sketchup sketch idea.

Materials: square or rectangular steel pipe, flat steel bar stock, some bolts, more wood for the feet and some welding rods. Tools are roller bender, welder and angle grinder.

40tppPG.png

Weld the frame together, grind off the sharp edges, wire wheel it and blacken it by burning some old motor oil onto it, it'll look much better than if you painted it. Seal the log well with a whole lot of coats of urethane to preserve it and keep people from getting ass splinters.

It won't make you an "artiste" but it'll go together quick and it'll scream "I'm a man that can make shit."
I've got something closer to that planned for a fork I have from the same tree. Taking more care to dry it than the other piece.

5 minute Sketchup sketch idea.

Materials: square or rectangular steel pipe, flat steel bar stock, some bolts, more wood for the feet and some welding rods. Tools are roller bender, welder and angle grinder.

40tppPG.png

Weld the frame together, grind off the sharp edges, wire wheel it and blacken it by burning some old motor oil onto it, it'll look much better than if you painted it. Seal the log well with a whole lot of coats of urethane to preserve it and keep people from getting ass splinters.

It won't make you an "artiste" but it'll go together quick and it'll scream "I'm a man that can make shit."
Very Viking ey

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

So, first real test pour today. I've done a couple of minor pours up to this point (like the above) but this was the first one looking to do a bench style thingie as in what my ultimate goal is. Once this thing has the finishing steps it will be sized just right for a child. Good thing I have a neice (who is better than anyone else's)

I think it went well, I'm about 80% happy with it. Might get to 90-95% happy depending on how it cleans up afterwards. I always forget how fucking tired this stuff makes me, though. So damned hot.

Album of the pour, 60-something images. Final result is below that so you don't have to flip through stuff. Ask questions about any particular pic and I'll let you know what's going on in there.

ccNLDAV.jpg

3Jhsr9H.jpg

^This^ is a test for the final product.

The final product will be a bench.

The bench's seat will be somewhat similar to the surface in the pics above. The legs will be cast aluminum.

^This^ is a test for the final product.

The final product will be a bench.

The bench's seat will be somewhat similar to the surface in the pics above. The legs will be cast aluminum.

i think thats where most my confusion lied. Those did not appear to be usable legs for anything.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
So are those "legs" in the picture actually just sprues or something?
This is a three legged stool for my niece so it has child-sized legs. There are connecting sprues between legs. Now that the seat face is level I will flip it over and the sprues will be cut away then the legs made so that the seat is more or less level once I have time.

Make sense?

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum and Domon
This is a three legged stool for my niece so it has child-sized legs. There are connecting sprues between legs. Now that the seat face is level I will flip it over and the sprues will be cut away then the legs made so that the seat is more or less level once I have time.

Make sense?
Conceptually.

Aesthetically, I don't find it very pleasing to the eye.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes