Work rant thread

ITT, we complain about work stuff.

I'm fast running out of ways to imply "I can't help them if you don't tell me what the problem is." :|

I get these bland error reports all day everyday..

And.. "What did the error message say?"... "I don't know, I didn't read it." :(

No huge complaints about my business, but the 2nd job I work for, there's a lot of inefficiency, miscommunication, and idiocy abound. From the techs, to the dispatchers, to fairpoint, and to the customers.

My main complaint is when FP signs off on a circuit installation claiming the work is finished, when in reality it isn't. I show up onsite to the customer to do the premise wiring and modem hookup, only to find out the circuit is dead. Makes me and the company I subcontract for look like an ass even though the issue is out of our hands.

Case in point, I went to install a DSL circuit at an apartment two days ago. I arrive onsite. No apartment numbers on any doors. So the apartment # was 3, I figured, must be third floor. Go to the third floor, knock several times, no answer. Call customer. Left voicemail to call me back. Get called back, customer's apartment is the 2nd floor.... Then I found no DSL service at the customer's phone jack. No biggie, head to the basement, find the NID, found a labeled circuit id, no dsl sync... WTF FP, you label the circuit, and claim it is provisioned but it isn't! I left the customer, drove to the CO, did a port test which was successful, so that means that the FP frame tech never hooked pair A to pair B in the CO. All I can do is escalate the issue with the company I subcontract with to get FP to fix the issue.

Last edited:
Instead of having to work a mere 12 hours on Saturday, I now have to go back in Friday evening for 4 hours after dinner as well. What a lovely weekend it will be.

Tre, my homie is getting deported to Toronto.

I will be visiting at the very least every two years... i may even drive his Uhaul up this summer.

he's a nice dude by the way. mixed up in some.. um.. what kiki likes.

No huge complaints about my business, but the 2nd job I work for, there's a lot of inefficiency, miscommunication, and idiocy abound. From the techs, to the dispatchers, to fairpoint, and to the customers.

My main complaint is when FP signs off on a circuit installation claiming the work is finished, when in reality it isn't. I show up onsite to the customer to do the premise wiring and modem hookup, only to find out the circuit is dead. Makes me and the company I subcontract for look like an ass even though the issue is out of our hands.

Case in point, I went to install a DSL circuit at an apartment two days ago. I arrive onsite. No apartment numbers on any doors. So the apartment # was 3, I figured, must be third floor. Go to the third floor, knock several times, no answer. Call customer. Left voicemail to call me back. Get called back, customer's apartment is the 2nd floor.... Then I found no DSL service at the customer's phone jack. No biggie, head to the basement, find the NID, found a labeled circuit id, no dsl sync... WTF FP, you label the circuit, and claim it is provisioned but it isn't! I left the customer, drove to the CO, did a port test which was successful, so that means that the FP frame tech never hooked pair A to pair B in the CO. All I can do is escalate the issue with the company I subcontract with to get FP to fix the issue.

I know this pain. I used to be a Field Tech for ADC, I did test and turn up, turning up mostly Flashwave 7500s.

I know this pain. I used to be a Field Tech for ADC, I did test and turn up, turning up mostly Flashwave 7500s.

When I was at the CO last week, there was another CLEC tech there from new hampster and his license plate said DWDM. The tech kinda looked like a member of ZZ Top. :fly:

Now that's loving your job. I was laid off last month. I'd love to get back into it, I just have not found any jobs in this area. Flashwave is a beast, I also did basic long hauls and Cisco 15454 turnups. Most of these guys I worked w/ were 20 years older than me.

What area do you work in? I traveled 30 states over the last 2 years.

It's like getting dumped by Ryan Reynolds for a much younger woman with ridiculously perky tits, full lips and a smoky voice.

Sorry I was late to the lyrics game. Got held up in traffic.

Ahh, a work hate thread. I'll contribute -

Lazy ass writer who never comes into the office - "Is it ok if I call you on the weekend with a computer question?"
Lazy ass IT guy (me) - "No"
Writer - "It's work related."
me - "Don't call me on the weekend."
Writer - "Ok, then" walks off in a huff

These things bounce around in my head - Do I call you when I when I have a writing related question? Hell do I even call you outside of the bounds of work? Why is my free time any less valuable than your?

Of course, this is the same writer, who once he got the laptop, has taken
"working" from home 3 out 5 days during the week. Nice work if you can get it.

Even better, are the work people who call me over the weekend to help them out w/ their home router or some other such bullshit. Please just leave me alone, I can barely stand coming in here as it is and yet you want to bother me with shit when I'm not even getting paid!!:mad:
/rant

Flashwave is a beast, I also did basic long hauls and Cisco 15454 turnups. Most of these guys I worked w/ were 20 years older than me.
I've seen a few of those Cisco beasts in the racks at various COs in the area. Seems FP likes those a lot.
What area do you work in? I traveled 30 states over the last 2 years.
Maine.

I like my job, but have a lot of ideas how to make the product and installation much easier, but my boss and I don't want to "burn our bridges" so to speak with the company who gives us this work. So we just deal with it. :|

Even better, are the work people who call me over the weekend to help them out w/ their home router or some other such bullshit. Please just leave me alone, I can barely stand coming in here as it is and yet you want to bother me with shit when I'm not even getting paid!!:mad:
/rant

I have two rules about "home support"

Rule #1: If have have never been in, nor ever will be in, your vagina, you do not get free support. And no, my wife wouldn't let me keep my "Will Tech Support for Blowjobs" t-shirt.

Rule #2: I know that XXXX at YYYY will do this thing you want for less money than I demanded to even talk to you about it. There's a reason for it. I don't want to do it and I want you to call YYYY and ask to see if XXXX will help you.

I don't hate my job, but I do get frustrated from time to time. I transitioned to a new team a year ago, and one of the things that no one will let me get rid of is Patch Management. They have created an entire team to do what I used to do by myself, but I still get calls. Yesterday my entire Santiago office had their DST settings go wonky. They blamed the patch, and the new patch team looped me in to figure out why their processes didn't work. I was on the phone for 45 minutes before they 'admitted' to putting unverified code into the local site login script that overwrites the Time Zone information.

Ugh. Being the go-to-guy is great up until the point that you want people to go-to-away.