Wisdom teeth are lame

Yea I'm being told all four at once. My problem is that one of the impacted wisdom teeth is damaging the moler in front of it, causing a pretty heavy cavity which is getting close to the root.

So the dentist is going to do what he can to take care of the cavity (since the wisdom tooth is in the way) to hold me over for a couple months since I'm already scheduled to have major surgery in early August.

I had four wisdom teeth, two impacted, the other two have not broken through the gumline yet. So I opted to just have two removed. I go into the oral surgeons office (cue jokes here). In the operating room, right before I get my IV sleepy meds, the doctor said "so we're going for all four!" Nooo, just two please kthxbye. Got hit with the sleepy meds with really really hurt. Felt the drugs travel up my vein in my arm for 10 to 20 seconds, then I was out. Took me a couple hours to shake of the anesthetics. Within four hours I took the gauze out of my mouth, and popped a single vic. After that I wasn't in much pain, took some iberprofen for the swelling. I was on a liquid diet for a few days, mainly icecream, yogurt, tomato soup, etc. Within 2 weeks I was back to normal food.

The other two wisdom teeth have not come through the gumline yet, and don't appear to be impacting anything, so I'll just wait on it. Total cost for two teeth was about $1200 I believe. Yes, cheaper to get all four out, but I didn't want to be messed up for weeks.

y'all are a bunch of sissies. i had all four of mine removed at the same time. they were all impacted. having them removed while they're still impacted makes surgery easier since they are less likely to have full grown roots. they just cut open the gum and pop 'em out like Chiclets. Took about thirty minutes under local anesthesia. I spit out the cotton when I got home and only used pain meds the first day.

y'all are a bunch of sissies. i had all four of mine removed at the same time. they were all impacted. having them removed while they're still impacted makes surgery easier since they are less likely to have full grown roots. they just cut open the gum and pop 'em out like Chiclets. Took about thirty minutes under local anesthesia. I spit out the cotton when I got home and only used pain meds the first day.

I had to use Tylenol because the strength of vicodin they gave me was too strong. But otherwise I had the same experience. All impacted, all were popped out with a local anesthesia.

Wuss. You got pain meds. All I had was the novacaine they injected prior to the surgery.

My maxilofacial surgeon put me under with sodium pentothal. He was a big (6'6" ~240lb.) German man named Dr. Berger. His fingers were the size of polish kielbasas. I'm not sure how he fit those in my mouth but he got all 4 of my wisdom teeth out in 15 minutes and I was out the door.

Immediately after I was driven to the pharmacy all fucked up on the truth serum and had gauze and blood falling out of my mouth. I got served first and asked to leave. Good times.

Edit: I had to take zero of the hydro-codene pills i was prescribed. Little to no pain within 4 hours of leaving his office. My upper GI endoscopy was more unpleasant than this.

Last edited:
drooling blood and trying to spit out the gauze without being able to feel any part of your mouth or tongue is the best part.

I begged my oral surgeon to not put me under to have mine out, but he insisted. General anesthetic messes me up more than anything. Unfortunately, the surgeon managed to damage the nerve in the lower right part of my face and now, 2 or 3 years later I still do not have feeling there, plus I get random shooting pains. At least it isn't all the time anymore. They make you sign a waiver for this so you can't sue if they do fuck up in this manner. I must say it sucks big fat, hairy ass though.

Last edited:
I had mine removed on 23 Dec 2005.

I don't look so good in that year's Christmas pictures...

Apparently on the ride home, I kept asking my mom when I'd be able to drink soda again. Thanks to the anesthetic, I couldn't remember having asked before, so I'd just keep doing it.

Last edited:
I had mine removed when I was 19. I was awake for it too. Granted they were all in and just messed with my F Horn playing so I wanted them gone. The bottom could have stayed but the top ones cut my cheeks badly. To me it was no big deal at all and I was out eating that night regularly. Granted I wasn't put under so that whole issue with eating certain things wasn't really in effect for me.

The after effects weren't bad though. One nerve was hit and caused some swelling, but over all I had zero soreness in the jaw.