Wireless networks are gay.

Tried that. 3 hours later I said fuck it. Intel ProSet Wireless is not a nice piece of software. Of course, I'm also not a tech, so that could be my problem too.

You're not a tech???

bill.jpg

So it sounds like your boss decided to set a bunch of services to MANUAL/DISABLED. I expect more weird problems to occur cause some idiot thought they could save 10mb of RAM.

So it sounds like your boss decided to set a bunch of services to MANUAL/DISABLED. I expect more weird problems to occur cause some idiot thought they could save 10mb of RAM.
But that wouldn't completely disable the WZC service, would it? I would just expect that it would force him to always manually connect to the AP.

Why would my wireless networks tab always disappear from my wireless network properties window?

Because by letting Windows completely manage your wireless card it decides which drivers to load, which settings to use, etc. If the WZC service isn't started it won't load anything, your wireless NIC is so much dead weight in the system until configured. With no recognized wireless device there's no reason to add the Wireless Network Tabs.

Unfortunately it's one of the reasons Windows Automatic Networking sucks.

As for tinkering about with the other services... It's possible, but there were several hundred hits on google in regards to the WZC service having to be manually started every logon, so I doubt that's the case.

Because by letting Windows completely manage your wireless card it decides which drivers to load, which settings to use, etc. If the WZC service isn't started it won't load anything, your wireless NIC is so much dead weight in the system until configured. With no recognized wireless device there's no reason to add the Wireless Network Tabs.

Unfortunately it's one of the reasons Windows Automatic Networking sucks.

As for tinkering about with the other services... It's possible, but there were several hundred hits on google in regards to the WZC service having to be manually started every logon, so I doubt that's the case.

Technology sucks. I wish I knew more about it, and yet I'm glad I don't. It's such a pain in the ass to do something simple sometimes.

That explains the loud girly yelping sounds drifting down from the north.

The FAA has actually restricted me to taping my sac between 3 and 4 a.m. Apparently the succession of screams are of such magnitude that they interfere with flight instrumentation around DFW.